Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

german reenactors

Discussion in 'Living History' started by panzergrenadiere, Jul 11, 2001.

1. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I am going to start doing reenacting and have over a million questions. I would like to talk to any german reenactor I can get a hold of.

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

/enter the newbie...

Hi there, I do Waffen SS with the 12SS in Britain. I havent been doing it long but would be happy to help with whatever I can, though I doubt that will be much. What unit have you joined?

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I dont act therefore I am--er, I mean I just wanted to say: WELCOME ABOARD. :D

4. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I'm in the process of joining the 2 panzer divison. I wanted to join the LAH,but I have to be 18 to do that.

i don't have any questions right now since I 've had most of them answered since I made that post.

Also weclome aboard

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Cheers guys,
    I had the same problem with u as far as age is concerned, I was only 15 when I wanted to join a unit so I went for 12SS (for obvious reasons).

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome aboard gentlemen!

7. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

The only 12SS reenactors I could find were in Calforna and I live in Indiana. Even though I found a group that will let me join I still can't use a gun and take part in a battle until I'm 18. So all I can do is camping, setting up their pak 40, and digging bunkers.

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I know what you mean, I cant actualy take part in battles until I am 16 (at the end of August) but I have attended a couple of public shows and I must admit I enjoy the whole thing. Dressing up in uniform, walking around with a STG44 on your shoulder, having your photograph taken, seeing how people react to it and most of all talking to people, its all great fun. It is also nice to see that while there are obviously some people who think thay you are odd because you dress up in German uniform, there are also some who respect you for having the guts to do it. I was wondering, when are you planning on attending your first event and how old are you?

By the way, if you are interested here are a couple of web sites for my unit: http://www.kompanie1.co.uk/
    (this is our main site)
    www.12thss.com
    (this is a site set up by one of our members with loads of decent photographs etc from recent events, I am even in a couple :D )
    Enjoy

9. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

10. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

hehe, he called me a gentleman, lol

anyway, being serious now, from what I have seen most US re-enactment groups are EXCELENT, there is no other word for it. I would love to come over there and do some re-enacting with you guys but to be honest I can't afford it. Both those sites are good, I've seen them both before.

11. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I went thru hell trying to find a reenacting unit to join. On one of my attempts I called this one guy and a lady answered the phone, when I asked for him she said that he left a year ago because he wanted to become a women. That freaked me out.

I have one question for you want to your parents think about you doing reenacting. My mom thinks it ok, but the rest of my family thinks I'm crazy. :confused:

12. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I got another question, its more of a historical accurey. Since the unit I'm joining is Heer and when I turn 18 I want to switch to a waffen SS unit. Would I be albe to use a heer M43 tunic when doing a Waffen SS reenactment. I think I can, but I'm not sure.

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hi, sorry for the slow response I have been on holiday (2 weeks in belgium, 3 days in Amsterdam, Great). It would be ok for you to use the M43 tunic for both, most re-enactment is based on the kind of 1943-44 time and the SS and Heer both used basicaly the same gear as regards uniforms. I have an M44 and am trying to get an M43 (my dad is thinking of joining so we can swap round as required. Bear in mind that a) you will need to change the insignia drasticaly when you make the change (the same applies for your cap, which cap are you planning on getting by the way, I recomment the M43 for comfort and the side cap for looks) and b) that your uniform doesnt have to match, you have probably heared this before but the colours and patterns of tunics and trousers were rarley the same, for example I have M43 trousers, M44 tunic and an M43 or M40 cap, the shades of all are noticably different.

As for what my parents think, my dad was wary at first not because of the theme (he is as interested in WW2 as me only he is more into the political side) but because he thought it may attract real Nazis, now he is totaly cool with it, in fact he is going to join himself and is talking about my younger brother joining too. My mother doesnt really care because she knows I am safe and trusts me, she is only worried about the amount of money I spend. The rest of my family? Most think it is really cool and like hearing aobut it, same goes for some of my friends but I only told a few and those were only people who I knew wouldent freak out. I even have a few potential volunteers.

14. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I wish my family was understanding about my wanting to do reenacting. They constantly ask me why don't I wanna be on the americans, and are u a dam nazi. It drives me nutts. Thanks for the help on the uniforms I'm about to order a tunic as soon as my pay check comes in.

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Actualy, some people I told about it (like a couple of guys at my old work) were like that. They werent exactly worried but they asked why I chose to 'be a Nazi' which really pi... irritated me, so I explained that I wasnt re-enacting a Nazi, I was doing what all other re-enactors do and playing the part of a soldier who was in the Waffen SS. That is nothing to do with politics, I am not acting the part of an Alegamain camp guard or a political leader but a soldier which is no different from acting as a soldier of the US Army or the British army. I actualy did consider doing British or American re-enactment. The thing that turned me away from the Americans (aside from the fact that it would be so blatant that I am not American (lacking an accent or even the ability to do a decent impression) and the price of M1 Garands over here (£400 or more). I decided against being British because most units I found were 'special' in some way, portraying a famous regiment like the Paras or the Commandos and I would just feel wrong claiming to be one of those (just me, I think it is great that others do it but wouldent feel right myself) and would far rather just be in a regiment of the line. The reason I chose German forces was that thanks to history they are always the losers at public shows (except for one memorable incidedt where we chased the Americans and Brits down a railway track and never saw them again, HURRAH!!). For some reason I felt that it would be far more interesting for me to be one of the 'enemy' because it would allow me to view peoples attitudes from the other side (having only previously been an observer) and I was right. I dont know if any of the other guys who re-enact as Germans or as 'the enemy' in other genres but I have found that, for example, while parents and children will happily walk up to a Brit or an American (will I offend anyone if I say Yank, its easier to type) and ask questions and be totaly relaxed (particularly with Americans because of their image in the WW2 films I guess, giving out sweets and the like) they are far more likely to stand 5 or 6 meters away and look at us but are less inclined to come over. At my last event I was sitting down on a bench by the bar at the station we were using for the show (damn licensing laws) when I noticed a kid standing staring goggle eyed at me while I removed the mag from my STG and sat down. his mother seemed a bit wary about letting hi nearer but as I took my helmet off my belt to make sitting more comfortable she pointed to it and said sommething to her kid. He seemed interested so I asked if he would like a look. She actualy seemed shocked that a Waffen SS trooper could be so friendly. Thats the bit I love, changing peoples attitudes, I know that there was be at least one woman going home that day knowing that not all Waffen SS guys were bastards and not all re-enactors are psychos.

There is also the great experiance of talking to vets, many of whom seem more willing to talk to a re-enactor than a civilian (possibly because they think we can relate to some of what they say and know about the subject). In fact I spoke to quite a few British vets who seemed to find it really interesting to see 'how the other side live' and hear about German gear, what we think of it etc. Which reminds me, I love German field gear, it is so comfertable it is rediculous and that is considering I have all my gear hanging off my belt, without y-straps. Have you actualy attended any events yet?

16. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Sadly I haven't attended any events because every time I try something goes wrong. The first time I tried my brother had to make his comunion and I had to be there. :mad: Then the second time I got the flu, and last my family just wouldn't drive 2 hours for me go and watch it. I'm going to one this weekend its only a public display. I'm going to that and go to a military show where I hope to buy a helmut or K98 amo pouches.

There is also a revolunary war reenactment going on near my house so I mite go and see that too.

Also where did you go in Beligum?

17. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I have problems getting to events too sometimes but mostly they are under 2 hours drive away. Like I said, public displays are very good. You are lucky in that the USA produces tonnes of stuff for re-enactors at great prices where as it is quite pricey over here.

About Belgium, I went with a mate and stayed with her family, we went to Brussles, Antwerp, Ghent, Amsterdam and Waterloo, which was incredable. There isnt much there but that didnt bother me, I spent about an hour sitting atop the monument just imagining a column of the imperial guard being repulsed, the charge of the union brigade or the rifles and KGL fighting around the farms. The only thing that irritated me was that there was no monument specificaly to the British while there were several to napoleon, the Prussians, Belgians (who ran away), Sax Wimar and all the smaller forces. It was still a great experience. We also payed a visit to a concentration camp north of brussles.

18. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Cool, that must have been great to go there. I've been to a few battle sites in the U.S. I was at Gettysbury once and the others I went to were from the french and indian war, the revoluntry war, and the war of 1812, plus some from the indian wars fought in the midwest. All of them were in indiana and were pretty small.
    I'm surprized there aren't any momuments to the british at waterloo.
    How expensive is stuff in the U.K. because I think its expensive over here?

19. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Well, here is my price list for the gear I have got so far:
    1)jackboots £40
    2)belt + buckle £30
    3)shirt £10
    4)helmet £55
    5)trousers £20
    6)tunic + insignia £50
    7)bread bag. £28
    8)soft cap £35
    9)ammo pouches £20
    10)water bottle £20
    11)gasmask cannister £20
    12)mess tin £4
    13)spade + cover £20
    14)y-straps £35 (SOF)
    15)bayonet £45
    16)Smock (burred edge) £125 (palm tree) £110
    17) Italian Trousers £55
    Total £612

Unfortunatly I cant be bothered to work out the individual prices in dollars but it comes to a total of $881.73 which is a hell of a lot if you dont have a job.

20. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I only have summer jobs teaching swim lessons and with that money I've only been able to buy a K98 and I've got enought to buy a tunic now.

The tunic I'm getting cost $285 and I've seen some that cost over $400. Its gonna cost me over $1500. to get everything.

Plus I found a panzershreck in a local army navy surplus store. Its in a display but I'm trying to see if they'd ever sell it. It would cost me alot.