Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German training camps

Discussion in 'Military Training, Doctrine, and Planning' started by Eva1777, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Eva1777

Eva1777 New Member

I've been looking around the web to find where German civilians could sign up for training during the war. But it was to no avail.
    Does anybody of you know:
    - where the military bases/training camps lied (preferably around Weteritz)
    - how someone could apply
    - how long a training would take (more specific: sniper)

I'm writing a book, but I really want all my information to be correct and provided.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Sarge

Sarge Member

Never heard of any such thing, for any country.
    All training was conducted at military training bases for military personnel, Not for civilians.
    Sarge

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I suspect Weteritz is in Wehrkries XI, but I am not certain as the map I am looking at is rather vague with its borders.. The Wehrkries is divided into several Wehrersatzinsepekitionen (recruiting area inspectorate). The Wehrersatzinsepekitionen then controls several Wehrbezirkskommandos (recruiting sub-area HQ) which then directs the Wehrmedleamter (Military Reporting Office). I do not have a list below Wehrkries level. Just guessing here, but I suspect he would have had to go to at least Gardelegen or Wolfsburg to volunteer, especially if he does so out of cycle. Purely speculation, though.

Look at this book: Handbook On Geman Military Forces around page 65, It will provide you with some idea about the length of training as it varied throughout the war.

Eva1777 likes this.
  4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I suspect he meant a civilian joining the armed forces,

5. toki2

toki2 Active Member

The set-up of the Hitler Youth was designed to channel them in to the forces when they came of age therefore military training was part of the package and they would have been well disciplined.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  6. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

I think you ought to do a little more basic research on the nature of Nazi Germany and its army. It';s armed forces were conscripts who were told where to report for duty. Volunteers were not that frequent. people did not generally pop along to ask for military training as snipers.

The US Army pamphlet explains how the german army worked.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Germany/HB/

The books of HH Karst are set in German barracks.

Weteritz is in military corps district XI, which had its headquarters in Hannover. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Map_of_military_districts_of_Germany_in_1943-1944.jpg

The infantry in the XI district were recruited and trained in Reserve Division 171
    http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/DivisionNr/DivisionNr171.htm
    Their garrisons were in Hildesheim, Hannover and Northeim a bit too far to the west for your story.

Weteritz is part of kreis Gardelegen which had the following recruitment and training units. Gardelegen nhad beena garrison town since 1726 and the home of a Prussian army Regiment. In WW2 the main local military base was Fliegerhorst Gardelegen - an air force base, where Parachute Regiment One were based at some point.

Fallschirmjäger-u. Ausbildungs-Bataillon Gardelegen (parachute infantry)
    Wehrkreis-Remonteschule IX (Remount school for breaking and training horses)
    Wehrkreis-Reit- und Fahrschule XI (horse riding and driving - mainly horses)
    Versuchs-Kommando Hottendorf (test ? commando Hottendorf)
    Ergänzungs-Kampfgeschwader 1 (Bomber wing 1)
    Stab / Kampfgeschwader 101 (Bomber wing 101)

Snipers are infantrymen so maybe he could be a parachutist.

Eva1777 likes this.
  7. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I suggest reading a few memoirs of German soldiers during the war. Siegfried Knapp's "Soldat" was a good read for a breakdown of a common soldier's training and indoctrination.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.