Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Glencree German Cemetary

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by TheRedBaron, Jul 22, 2004.

1. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Just got back from the Glencree WW1 & WW2 German Cemetary here in Ireland. Took lots of photos so I will try to post some up! Found some aircrews all buried together from '40 & '41.

Very Germanic place... You will see what I mean when I post the Pics!

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Red any Luftwaffe grave-sites from 1945 ?

E ♪

3. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Erich,

No '45 graves, found some '43 and '44. The graveyard is all Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine, have some pics of the location and the headstones, put em on my PC today, they look really good...

Hope to post them up tonight.

I also have another cemetary to check out, hopefully next week, will let you know what I find.

RED

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Just looking through pics and found one for '47...

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

Do you have any idea how the Germans got there ? I thought Ireland was neutral in WWII. I am espcially interested in how the the 1947 pilot met his ending. I am guessing sucide. I know some did not want to return to the Russian sector of Germany and hung theirselves.

6. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

All the graves are Luftwaffe or Kriegsmarine and come from ships or subs sunk in Irish waters and aircraft that crashed in the Wicklow mountains area which runs parralel to the east coast. Quite alot of planes crashed in Eire, from both sides, and I am trying to get hold of the book that details all the crash sites so I can go visit them as some still have small items of wreckage...

I think I have found the crew for a JU-88 that crashed into one of the mountains and the crew of another bomber that crashed in fog after raids on Liverpool maybe???

There is also a Belgian Kriegsmarine rating and a 'Uberkannter' Kriegsmarine...

In my travels I have also found a Chinese sailor buried in Wexford after his ship was sunk in '42...

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Beware, visiting these cemeteries and doing this kind of research will prove addicting...

- Surgeon General's relationship warning

8. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thanks for the information about the cemeteries.

Perhaps some night on a full moon you can spend the night in one and try out the night life. :eek: :D

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

did I ever tell you guys that a German author will be releasing his book on the LUftwaffe RK winners in the near future. Simple bios and then colour pics of their gravesites. Yeah sounds a little bizarre but.....

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Erich, it is like your sig says.... ;)

Must say that several collegues don't get my interest in cemeteries (well, actually the people who are buried there). One the other hand, I have one or two really interested in them now as well! One of them is scouring the country-side were he lives in search of them! [​IMG]

11. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Gentlemen,

Just to let you know that the Suchdienst of the OdR record an archive of photos of the graves of RKT's,for families etc so if you find any RKT Graves during your cemetry visits please take a photo and let me know and i'll pass it on.

On my Battlefield trips i always search out any RK Graves and take photos,although the graves are not marked in any special way so unless you know they are there it is difficult to pick them out.

Many RK's are buried in Britain,particulary at Cannock Chase.

Baron i'll find out if any RK's are buried at Glencree,

Paul

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I wish I could get the author of this future work to let go of some of his photos but he has worked many hours and contacted many a familie to take photos on private property. I have at least 15 from his private collection and have been allowed to be used on our web-pages and the ones of Kurt Welter-gravesite will be in our book, the first time these have been released yet even seen.

Red and Paul I have a request for both of you and not sure if this is possible or not but I have an Ritterkreusträger and crew in mind that are buried on the English isle during 1945. The pics are actually needed for another work I am working on "Unternehemen Gisela"...... March 4/5 1945. Ritterkreuzträger and Staffelkapitän Hauptmann Johann Dreher of 13./NJG 3 he and his crew crashed near Elvington(Sutton on Derwent) in their Ju 88G-6, coded D5+AX.

The crew had attacked a Hali and then went on a ground strafing hunt, clipped a tree flying to low and the a/c cartwheeled through a lane of trees tearing the /German a/c to shreds.....

at this point I am not sure at all where they are buried but the 4 man crew are buried side by side, confirmed.....

thanks guys

Erich ~

13. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Nachname: Dreher
    Vorname: Johann
    Dienstgrad: Hauptmann
    Geburtsdatum: 30.11.1920

Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 04.03.1945

Johann Dreher ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Cannock Chase (Großbritannien) .
    Endgrablage: Block 8 Reihe 3 Grab 68

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin is this from WaST ?

the bottom line of course is most helpful ! so Canock Chase then, but where is that located, anyone ?

Erich

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

heres the lates on these downed airmen.

one grave : Fw. Gustav Schmitz/Dreher
    second grave : Ofw. Hugo Böker/Fw. Martin Beche and also a solider from the Heer.

thank you all

Erich ☺

16. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Nachname: Schmitz
    Vorname: Gustav
    Dienstgrad: Feldwebel
    Geburtsdatum: 06.03.1921
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 04.03.1945

Gustav Schmitz ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Cannock Chase (Großbritannien) .
    Endgrablage: Block 8 Reihe 3 Grab 67

Böker nicht bekannt

Beche nicht bekannt

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

intersting ...........

E ok someone will have to check for me..........plese !

18. Stevin

Stevin Ace

loads of Boker's, also around that date, but not a Hugo. Only one Beche known on the Volksbund site...

Schmitz and Dreher do lie side by side. It is my guess that your info is right and the other two are there too, but somehow are not mentioned on the Volksbund site.

approximate location of Cannock Chase

[​IMG]

[ 24. July 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Stevin ]

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

blttttttttttttt doesn't work, ok will try again later....

E ₧