Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Go For Broke, 1951 film

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by belasar, Jun 15, 2020.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This a film about the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a unit made up of Japanese-Americans or Nisei troops. Van Johnson was the one 'big' name actor, though many of the Nisei were portrayed by actual 442nd veterans which is something of a plus. Though not natural actors, they generally do a credible job for the most part.

The film follows the standard formula for a American war film, the troops are shown as recruits, training and gaining confidence and skill, followed by examples of combat culminating with hard fought victory against the odds. This could become tedious but is relieved by interludes of levity that border on a service comedy without crossing the line.

It was notable for tackling racism head on so early in the 1950's and showing Japanese in a positive light which is refreshing after stereotyping common to war time era films made just a few years prior. I have always been fond of this film, perhaps because its a underdog story and have no problem watching it every few years.
    Go_For_Broke_poster_1951.jpg

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Haven't watched that movie in umpteen dozen years or more. Have to see if Netflix has it now.

I remember reading something about them while in training, I believe at one point they were at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. The Japanese-Americans from the mainland did not get along very well with the Japanese-Americans from Hawaii for some reason. Maybe the Hawaiian Japanese-Americans thought that they were superior to the mainland Japanese-Americans, but for whatever reason they weren't the best of buddies. The mainlanders called the islanders "kerplunks," implying the sound that a coconut makes when it falls from the tree and hits the ground. Maybe that term has some derogatory connotations on the West Coast. Not really sure about that. I've always prided myself on being current with derogatory terms, especially those with a historical context, but I am at a complete loss on why that is a slur against those from the islands. Well, I thought that it was interesting.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    belasar likes this.
  3. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Look for John Banner as a surrendering German. The shock on his face is fun.

6. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Most Islanders have a laid back I'd rather be napping kind of attitude. My mom 3rd generation nisei. I had great uncles in the 100th and 442nd most passed by the time I got to Hawaii. Mom told me about hating the bomb drills going to a bomb shelter in the hills hated it because it was dark full of bugs and spider webs. The army used to do training up those hills not sure if they still do. Kahuku was under developed and pretty open, now Brigham Young University and Polynesian cultural center. The Mormons own most of kahuku. Yup white man come to educate Islanders and take land and put them to work.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

8. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

LoL actually that's another of my future projects. First I have to finish my BTs2/5/7. Learned about them from girls and panzer these Finnish girls racing around in a bt42 shooting left and right and chased by the other team. They get their tracks knocked off switch drives and take off on wheels and the other team is but they have no tracks. Did the bt42 have the dual drive I read the Soviets deleted it on later models to save costs and simplify production. Ok so girls and panzer is a cartoon, but it was funny and informative

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.