Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gods And Generals (An After Action Report) [IN Stereo] for your reading pleasure.

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

with the much Anticipated Release of Gods and Generals on DVD i thought it right to sort of add the 'spirit of secession' to the Forum by Giving you a Blow-By-Blow account of the American Civil War using a simulation called 'From Sumter To Appamottox'

If all goes according to plan, we shall start within a day or two. It look like Reddog will be playing as The Union and Yours truly will be taking up arms for the fledgling Confederate States of America.

With out further adieu, i give you all,
    Gods and Generals
    (I'll try to add music when i can)
    Introduction: Hopefully Red Dog will add his 'Yankee' perspective to this intoduction.
    --------------------------------------------
    Opening Music
    It is a time of Great Chaos In The Union of States. It appears that that Great Experiment of Jefferson, Adams, and Washington has failed. At the beginning of the 1860's and after the Election of Abraham Lincoln, the states of the South one by one leave the Great Union. The Union is quick to act, and begins preparing troops for an armed invasion of the south. This is a war that will not be fought on a distant battlefield, but amongst us.

At the onset of the Conflict, the Officers of the US Army are divided. Many choose to return to their homes in the South, like Maj.Thomas Jackson, Colonel Robert E. Lee, and Lewis Armisted. Still others like Armisted's Best Friend, Winfield Hancock, return home to preserve the Union.

CvM AAR Productions presents
    an AAR BY Reddog and CvM:

-------------------------------- [​IMG]--------------------------
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Confederate Turn
    December 1860

http://www.civilwar.com/sound/dixie.rm - Click

[​IMG]
    On December 20, 1860, South Carolina, amid great fanfare, formally dissolved "the Union now subsisting between South Carolina and other states." Within two months, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas (in order of secession) had also dissolved this tie. Some of the reasons for dissolving this union were issues over slavery, tariffs, and Federal laws that had negative effects on the Southern economy

February 1861
    Jefferson Davis Sworn in as President of the CSA, here are the closing remarks of his innagural address:

"We have changed the constituent parts, but not the system of our Government. The Constitution formed by our fathers is that of these Confederate States, in their exposition of it, and in the judicial construction it has received, we have a light which reveals its true meaning.

Thus instructed as to the just interpretation of the instrument, and ever remembering that all offices are but trusts held for the people, and that delegated powers are to be strictly construed, I will hope, by due diligence in the performance of my duties, though I may disappoint your expectations, yet to retain, when retiring, something of the good will and confidence which welcome my entrance into office.

It is joyous, in the midst of perilous times, to look around upon a people united in heart, where one purpose of high resolve animates and actuates the whole-where the sacrifices to be made are not weighed in the balance against honor and right and liberty and equality. Obstacles may retard, they cannot long prevent the progress of a movement sanctified by its justice, and sustained by a virtuous people. Reverently let us invoke the God of our fathersto guide and protect us in our efforts to perpetuate the principles which, by his blessing, they were able to vindicate, establish and transmit to their posterity, and with a continuance of His favor, ever gratefully acknowledged, we may hopefully look forward to success, to peace, and to prosperity."

In Early April Forces under Pierre Bouregard placed the Federal Fort Sumter Under Siege, forcing Its Surrender.

Colonel Robert E. Lee met with Pres. Advisor Francis Blair, who, on the order of President Abraham Lincoln, offered Lee the job of being Commanding officer of the Newly Formed Union Army with the goal of Invading the South and restoring the Union. Lee thinks for a moment, and says:

"Sir, will you please convey my deepest my deepest sense of honor and Gratitude to the President, but I must decline your offer, I do not support Secession, or the violent path the Southern States have taken. However I decided months ago that my greatest Loyalty is to Virginia, my home. I pray to God Virginia Stays in the Union, but i feel that by raising this Army President Lincoln is Uniting his enemies. I ahve never taken my duties lightly, but my greatest duty, is to my Home."

Not too long after, Virginia seceeded from the Union, the lines were now drawn, the Line Between
    North
    and
    South
    [​IMG]

2 Months Later, Confederate and Union Armies began skirmishing in Northern Virginia, this was only the Beginning.

Among the Confederate Leaders was Thomas Jackson, former teacher at the Virginia Military Instistute
    as of Now he is in Command of the 1st Infantry Brigade
    [​IMG]
    (Jackson, Still in VMI Uniform, inspects Artillery In May 1861)
    --------------------------

Please, feel free to post comments here

oh, and Red Dog, make sure u include a union flag at the stop of where u give your account of the Turn.

CvM

[ 15. July 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Carl G. E. von Mannerheim ]

2. reddog2k

reddog2k Member

[​IMG]
    Union Turn
    December 1860

After Abraham Lincoln is sworn in as president of the United States of America. By inaguration day seven Southern states(South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas) seceeded from the Union.

Lincoln would say at his inaguration:

"I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Unfortunately these words would not convince the seven suseeding states to return to the Union, nor could they prevent four more states(Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina) from leaving the Union.

As the Southern states seceded, they seized and occupied most of the federal forts within their borders or off their shores. Only four remained in the hands of the Union. Fort Sumter stood guard in the mouth of the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina. The other three forts were in Florida: Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, Fort Pickens in Pensacola Bay, and Fort Taylor at Key West. Of the four, Sumter was the most important

During his first day in office President Lincoln learns that Fort Sumter, Commanded by Major Robert Anderson had only enough supplies for one month and could not obtain supplies from the mainland.

Lincoln made the decision to send ships to Fort Sumter, but the ships would land only if they were not attacked.

On April 11, 1861, General Beauregard, commanding the Confederate troops in Charleston, demanded that Major Anderson surrender Fort Sumter. Anderson refused, but he stated that lack of supplies would compel him to give up the fort by April 15. His reply was so hedged with qualifications that Beauregard considered it unsatisfactory, and, at 4:30 AM on April 12, he ordered his batteries to open fire on the fort.

On the second day Fort Sumter would surrender, and the stage was set for war.

Battle Hymn of The Republic:

http://www.fjhmusic.com/audio/je4064.ram

I'll try to find a better version, hopefully I can find the Lee Greendwood vocal.

[ 15. July 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: reddog2k ]