Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Goerings removal from Luftwaffe & Albert Speer in charge of wartime production

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by willc453, Oct 20, 2012.

1. willc453

willc453 recruit

Checking out everyone's different scenario, but haven't seen this idea. Hitler sacks Goering after his failure of the Luftwaffe to destroy/force the surrender of the allied troops at Dunkirk and of course, the Battle of Britain. What competent (not some politcal hack/behind kisser) would Hitler chose and why? What would happen if Albert Speer had been put in charge of all war time production in 1942, with Hitler following his advice of having women working in the factories so that "X" number of Army divisions/Air Groups/Navy would be available to Hitlers war time plans? Would Speer have started (or been able to) start production of ME-262's much earlier along with jet engine bombers? Would Speer recognized the need to have an all mechanized Germany army?

2. Flying Fortress B-17G

Flying Fortress B-17G New Member

I would have to say good old "Smiling Albert" Kesselring would have been Hitler's most logical choice. I know Albert was controlled the Luftwaffe in Italy but hypothetically if Goering was "sacked" right after the Battle of Britain, Kesselring was right there at that time. I don't know who would have taken Kesselring's role in Italy though. He was already proven having participated in the invasion of Poland and France.

About the ME 262's there first flight with Jet engines was in the summer of 42 but engine problems halted it from being operational until the middle of 44. Speer was able to produce incredible numbers of arms and machines despite the constant allied bombing raids. Although even if he were in control in 42 He would still have to answer to Hitler who in my opinion greatly impeded the development and production of some ingenious ideas throughout his reign. Like with the 262 when Hitler first saw it he wanted it I be able to carry bombs thus delaying it's production.

As far as Speer recognizing the need for an entirely Mechanize army I would say no. Hans Guderian had been pushing that need since his discovery of tank warfare in the pre war years. And it's success was displayed brilliantly in the invasions of Poland, France, and the beginning of the Russian campaign. Some of the Nazi high command including Hitler were still sometimes reluctant, but no one could ignore there capabilities. Although from what I've read there was to must friction in the Nazi high command which cost them dearly over the years. There lack of coordination and cooperation played a part in there downfall.

3. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

Too late, the damage had already been done.

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Spper being in charge of production would certainly help, but it would also depend on when Hitler made the commitment to total war. Strange as it seems, Germany was the last of the major powers to curtail production of consumer goods. At the time Goring would be sacked in this scenario, after the Battle of Britain, Hitler was still thinking Russia would collapse after one good kick.

I'd agree that a Blitzbomber was not the best use of the Me262, but I'm not sure how much adding bombing capability really delayed it. Almost every WWII fighter carried bombs; adding bomb racks wasn't a major change.

5. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

6. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

The reason many women did not work much in the factories is that they were needed in the farms, the Germans did have a labor source, but because of food limits they were killing them.

7. Flying Fortress B-17G

Flying Fortress B-17G New Member

[quote name="Carronade" post="556737" timestamp="

I'd agree that a Blitzbomber was not the best use of the Me262, but I'm not sure how much adding bombing capability really delayed it. Almost every WWII fighter carried bombs; adding bomb racks wasn't a major change.[/quote]

The 262 wasn't just another WW2 fighter though. It was the first jet engine aircraft ever made. I don't think it was as easy as just putting a bomb rack on it. The first model was made only as a fighter they made another model the A2 that carried bombs.

8. green slime

green slime Member

Germany could not mechanize its entire army; it didn't have enough Oil to keep the machines it made running anyway. Every step of the way, right from the very beginning of the war, Germany was hard strapped for Oil. Pilot training was down, and in '42, during the great push for the Caucasus, fully operational tanks were left behind because there wasn't enough petrol to keep them all moving.

Additionally:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_178 (27 August 1939)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1 (27 August 1940)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262 (18 April 1941)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_E.28/39 (15 May 1941)

But the Me 262 was the world's first Operational jet fighter, late '44.