Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Goings on at my house.

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Slipdigit, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If you haven't seen me around much over the past several weeks, there has been a good reason.

Four Sundays ago, my wife tripped out on the driveway and broke both of her arms. She had surgery that night to repair the damage, since one of them was an open fracture. It has been right busy around here for me, having to be the husband, father, mother, nurse, physical therapist, cook, nurse, bottle washer, etc, plus tending to nine, month-old English Shepherd puppies.

Well, things are settling down a bit as my wife is able to do so much more for herself and five of the pups are now gone, with two more leaving this week.

My church has been a great help, supplying meals, prayers and concern. My wife is now staying at home by herself and around lunch, one of group of ladies from church comes by and heats her lunch up for her, since she is unable to do so for herself. The rotate it around and are are blessing. The folks from work and my fire department have also brought meals, to the point I have had to ask them to hold off for a while as we cannot eat it all and have run out of freezer space.

My neighbor's children go the same school as my eldest and my neighbor has taken upon herself to see that my daughter gets to school and back. I don't even have to ask who is doing it, she takes care of it. My daughters also are in a play in the nearby town. I asked a neighbor to come sit with my wife and I went to practice the first night and explained my situation to the other parents, since I was not going to be able to get them there and take care of my wife at night. We live 10 miles away from the theater, but I immediately had 6 volunteers from the area offer to carry my children for me each night.

It has been a tough row to hoe, but we have been monunmentally blessed.

2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

i wish your wife a quick recovery

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Great to hear things are improving at your "digs" Jeff, it is nice to have support groups from friends, family, and others is it not?

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I too am glad things are going better. It really feels good to know that there are still good people out there, gladly willing to help their neighbor in a time of need. It renews my faith in human nature. Thanks for sharing.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

My very best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery, Jeff. It's a heck of a shock when something like that happens to you ( as I know from bitter experience ).

6. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Jeff, I know from experience what your wife has gone through. I too have broke both arms, and although it was when I was a kid, I can still relate to the anguish and disruption that is associated with such an injury. My hat also goes off to your local community for coming to your aid in such a time of need.

Give my regards to your wife and wish her a speedy path to full recovery.

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Well done that man. But this:

It has been right busy around here for me, having to be the husband, father, mother, nurse, physical therapist, cook, nurse, bottle washer, etc, plus tending to nine, month-old English Shepherd puppies.

Isn't that what the wife does all the time then?

As for help...good to know it still happens...I know it does...there are lots of uncaring folk, or better still, unthinking folk out there...Its nice when you hear some are doing things for others. It does happen, even here in the UK. I have found to my surprise community still exists even here...Country folk amaze me. I never knew the big society existed...Its alive and well where Jeff is and alive and well in the UK countryside.

I take it you've been scratching her nose then?

8. 36thID

36thID Member

Best Wishes and a tip of the cap to your friends !!

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We generally share the house duties, Urqh. Now I am doing them mostly by myself. My wife to her credit, is trying to do as much as she can, such as fold towels and things like that, and she has gotten very good at taking care of herself the last week or so. But there is still a lot that she cannot do. To give you some idea of the time involvement, it initally took about an hour to bathe and get her ready for bed. She is getting able to do more for herself, so we're getting it done a lot faster.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I know the feeling, Jeff, but the shoe is on the other foot. I can no longer do all the things I used to, but I am slowly getting to do some of them. My wife has been a godsend, as have both my children, and my grandchildren. Hang in there, buddy.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

What an awful accident, Jeff. It is good to hear she is becoming more independent. And what a blessing your church has been! I'm sure their help lightened your burden quite a bit. It sounds like your co-workers were a great help as well. However, I would be remiss if it did not add that your wife is lucky to have you by her side. All the best to both of you!

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Good luck and praying for a speedy recovery for both of y'all. It is a good thing for such a support group that you have there. Just don't get too used to it!

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sorry to hear this, but glad things are getting better. I can echo your thoughts as I too spent time in the hospital recently and had to spend time staying with a friend while my place was made ready for me again. Neigbors looked after Shadow (the cute guy on my member page) and did all kinds of chores for me that I could not. Its good to know the world is not as crappy as it sometimes appears.

14. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

"A Friend in need is a friend indeed"

Enough said.
    Take care mate, if life seems to be going uphill, its because its going to give you one view from the top that you will never forget.

TBA

15. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

God bless you and yours and prayers will be said on behalf of this .....may you and yours recover soon from this ordeal.....how wonderful it is that you respond with the care you have taken with her and family and I hope we all learn to emulate your example as we deal with our own struggles that come up to face us all.

16. Clementine

Clementine Member

Oh, my gosh, how awful. It sounds like your wife is recovering well and I hope she continues to do so.

If there is ever a good thing that comes out of something bad happening, it has to be when your family and friends rally around and help without even having to be asked, and it sounds like you have been blessed with that. I am so glad.

Best wishes to you and your family.

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Peeps who've never broken anything should be thankful. Very frustrating when we lose even a bit of our dexterity let alone all of it. My sympathies.

18. Drew Childers

Drew Childers Member

Very sorry to hear this Jeff. I'm visiting my mom through New Years in Greensboro, AL, 2 hours from you, let me know if there is anyway I can help out.

Drew

19. syscom3

syscom3 Member

Sorry to hear of this.

I will echo the comments here .... a speedy recovery!

20. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Nice to hear about a community coming together to help one of their own. Hope the recovery continues to go well.