Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Good Conduct Ribbon--"unrolled"?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by adambhoy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Hi everybody, forgive me if this was answered elsewhere. I searched and didn't find anything.

I have a US Army Good Conduct ribbon that looks as though it has been unrolled and straightened out, if that makes sense. It was in my grandfather's medals and things.

Originally I thought it was just an accidental dismantling of a ribbon bar, but I came across a picture online (which I attached) that shows another one in similar condition.

On closer inspection, mine doesn't appear to be accidental--the edges are sharp and square, and doesn't look frayed; it basically looks the same as the one in the picture.

There must be some significance to this--does anyone have any info? I can't find anything online, and I've not seen any other ribbons in this state, so is it unique to the Good Conduct ribbon?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. chibobber

chibobber Member

When issued in a cased set,medal,ribbon,lapel botton,a section of ribbon was included.I imagine it was for replacement or for the sewn on uniform option.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Absolutely correct, these pieces of ribbon were also used to make a "sweet heart" lapel rose.

4. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Excellent, thanks. Was this exclusive to the Good Conduct medal then? I have never seen sections of ribbon for other medals.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

All medals had them. You can occasionally find lengths of various ribbon on e-bay and what not

6. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Okay, gotcha. Must just be coincidence that I keep seeing this one and not others!

Thanks.

7. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Admbhoy, Not trying to be nit-picky but looking at the thumbnail, the Phillipine Liberation ribbon is upside down (the blue should be to the left).
    I take it this is not Sgt. Booth's display since he was in the European Theater. OK, I'm being nit-picky :D

8. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

I think nitpicky-ness is what drives us all here, isn't it? haha

Not my grandfather's stuff, no--I just found that picture on the internet and used it as an example due to the length of Good Conduct ribbon it included. ;o)