Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Good ol' B&W WW2 Films

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by E. Anderson, Jun 6, 2002.

1. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

Can anyone give me a recommendation of a good WW2 film. I've seen some of the new ones and just want to experience some of the old movies.

2. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

There is a topic under WWII films where quite a few of us listed our 5 favorites. But just for the record, my favorite is battleground, although it's kinda hard to find.

3. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

The Way Ahead

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heres a few B&W.

Hell To Eternity (war in the Pacific)

Decision Before Dawn (war in Europe)

Time Limit (Korean War POW story)

will think of more tomorrow.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Another alltime favorite of mine (Korean War) is: Fixed Bayonnets, with Richard Basehart.

Also Target Zero with Charles Bronson, Chuck Conners, L.Q. Jones (as the soldier with the hurting feet)

6. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

Carl that reminds me of another dandy, Steel Helmet

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I saw Steel Helmet years ago but do not really remember it.

Remember the excellent movie: "Porkchop Hill"? Had folks like Gregory Peck, Norman Fell, a young and pre-Baretta--Robert Blake, and several other minor stars.

As for another B&W ww2 great--remember "Hell Is For Heroes" With Steve McQueen, Bobby Darin, James Coburn, Fess parker and BOB NEWHART! Now THAT is a classic--and I hope it is on DVD--I Want it.

8. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

I saw Hell is For Heros last year, McQueen was awesome. I have Prok Chop Hill on Tape [​IMG]

9. WALT

WALT Member

"TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH" Its a post war movie about the pressure on the us air corp in 1942, and the stress of command when so many of your men are being killed, but you must ask them to fly again....Surpurb acting, good humor, and great footage of aerial combat. (Gregeory Peck and Dean Jagger, just real good acting)

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

12 O'Clock High is another great choice. Even though this one I will next list is--comical at best--I love it anyway--it is: Desperate Journey with: Errol Flynn, Ronald Reagan, Arthur Kennedy, and Alan Hale Sr.

Then I love "Objective Burma"--with Errol Flynn.

Not that im blabbering but, I lost count at 100 war movies I have on tape. Same goes for Westerns--I lost count at over 500 Western Movies I have on tape. Ive been told I have the second largest collection of Western movies on tape in private hands. Then I have over 400 Hostory Documentaries on tape--as well as maybe 50 sci-fi movies. One war-romance, one horror movie. TV episodes--I couldnt even count. I do have many Combat episodes though, all or most of the Black Sheep Squadron episodes, all of the first and most of the second seasons of: Tour Of Duty, and only God knows what else I have on tape. Oh I forgot--I probably have a few hundred classic cartoons on tape, and about 15 complete Movie Serials including The Three Mesquiteers--with John Wayne.

Someday my entire library will be someone elses. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

guys can you help me out with the location of a few of these films? i know they might be unavailable but if anyone knows a source i could get them from id be gratefull

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

There is a place online called: Bealle And Blade. I think this site is listed on the links pages here--if not--they are fairly easy to find on the I-net. You can order even obscure War films from there. Im going to place an order with them for the 1950s version of Stalingrad, which I think in English is called: Stalingrad Dogs--Do you Want To Live Forever? I forget what it is called in German at this moment. Also--ill order Die Brucke from them as well--I HAVE to see this movie.

If you ever get a chance to see: Hannable Brooks--I highly recommend that movie. It was filmed on location in Germany -- Austria and Switzerland. Its a bit strange for a war movie--but is VERY enjoyable. It has oliver Reed in it as a British POW, who escapes from the Germans while in charge of an Elephant! The real German and European scenery is most beautiful. I especially liked the scenery closer to the movies end when Hannable and friends come up against a Gebirgejager checkpoint and blockhouse. Also, most of the soldiers they fight in this movie are Gebirgejagers.

I first saw this movie a mere few days after I got back from my vacation in Germany. I visited a few of the places you see in this movie.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Also I want to get a copy --rather both versions of the German movie called: "Teufels General" or something like that. I was over there when they released the remake of it in 2000. I wanted to get a poster of the movie--but couldnt convince this one person to sell it. :(

Anyway--I think it is a movie based on a Luftwaffe General.

14. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

thanks everyone for their replies, they were very helpfull.. [​IMG]