Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Good read on the Holocaust in the east.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by machine shop tom, Jan 1, 2018.

1. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

It went way beyond Auschwitz

"Auschwitz as symbol of the Holocaust excludes those who were at the center of the historical event."

Holocaust: The Ignored Reality......

2. green slime

green slime Member

I Disagree. I think the author of the article is rather full of himself, and describes his own failings.

No one has ever said Auschwitz was the entire Holocaust. I don't know why he thinks it is held as the only symbol. You do not need to read far in any serious book on the topic of the Holocaust, or the European War, to understand it went far further than that single site, and that Eastern European Jewry was obliterated.

Do we really need to define subcategories of Holocaust victims, and if we do, how fine a level of detail should we have, and should we really invoke the Nazi definition of "ostjuden?!?

Bełżec ceased operations in June '43.
    Sobibor, in October '43.
    Treblinka, in October/November '43.
    Auschwitz, in January '45...

Of the industrial death camps, Auschwitz is estimated to have killed most.
    And it is exactly as a symbol of the state-organised, industrial-scale genocide that Auschwitz stands as. Yet memorials stand at many, many other sites, including places for mass shootings such as Babi Yar.

[​IMG]

3. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

You and I are aware of the things you mention. However, the article is about the average person who's knowledge of the Holocaust pretty much begins and ends with the Jew at Auschwitz. Ask around. The ignorance or lack of understanding the depth of the Holocaust is real and growing.

4. green slime

green slime Member

Right, but he makes like it is a short-coming of the historians, and not of the public to actually inform themselves. The information is there. You can't make people read, even less to understand. The same can be said for the level of ignorance on a large number of topics, from physics, mathematics, geography, biology, ... History is just another subject in the long list of public ignorance born from mass-entertainment sound bites. Few people put any effort into anything that isn't going to render them some immediate gratification.

KJ Jr and lwd like this.
  5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I agree completely with GS...the Holocaust has a large and vocal interest group trying to push their own agendas...of the many things people are ignorant of today, how high does the holocaust rate as important? To non Jews I would say pretty low. Im more upset that people forget the reasons for WW2 (so it may re-occur) and the 80 odd million people who are JUST AS IMPORTANT who died...to single out any one group is wrong IMO.
    I think about the thousands burnt alive and suffocated in the bombing of Dresden...killed for being German...women and children...OR the women and children killed during Horoshima and Nagasaki - no one seems to care too much about them...so I begin to think the "care-factor" is disingenuous - To care for one group and not another is what started the whole bloody process...

6. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

You didn't read the whole piece, did you?

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Ummm...no sorry.

8. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

Try it, there is a lot of info.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I did you're right... : )

machine shop tom likes this.
  10. green slime

green slime Member

Yes, the info it contains is good.

11. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I agree, very complete article. Defends the thesis well.