Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather - 7th Battalion Parachute Regiment

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Nichola36, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Nichola36

Nichola36 New Member

Good Afternoon,

I have been asked by my family to look into my grandfathers war background.

Unfortunately my grandad passed away in 2002 and up until his final few months, when his Parkinson's got really bad, he refused to discuss any of his experiences with any family member due to the awful memories it brought back. The few facts we know; he was a Para Trooper, served in Wester Europe at points, was involved in D-Day or the build up to D-day and unfortunately witnessed his best friend killed in action.

My Nan applied and was given my grandfathers records from the MOD. It obviously contains his service number, what unit he was attached too, his service dates and location (NWE - I'm guessing is north Western Europe?).

However we are looking to find out if there is any way that anyone on this site would recommend, that is easiest to find out specifically what countries he would of been in and possibly what battles? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nikki

Attached Files:

• GR 1.jpg
      GR 1.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • GR2.jpg
      GR2.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
  2. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome aboard. I'm sure some of our more knowledgeable members will be along to help shortly. In the mean time you might also want to ask over at our sister site ww2 talk as it has more of a Commonwealth focus. In any case PLS let us know what you find elsewhere and where you find it.

Good luck on your endeavors.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. Penguin

Penguin New Member

Nikki,

Your grandfather being with 7th Parachute Battalion from the first image we can see he was in Normandy from start to finish from June to September 1944 most likely jumped on D-Day, also went to the Ardennes from 23/24th December 1944. Can't make out the dates after 24-12-44 so not sure whether he was wounded or kept in Holland with Battalion transport for Operation Varsity.

Hope this might be of help.

1944 7th Parachute Battalion - War Diary

1945 7th Parachute Battalion - War Diary