Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfathers bullets from ww2

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Vintovka, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Vintovka

Vintovka Member

My Great Grandfather that was in the US Army landed on Omaha beach on D Day and afterwards fought the rest of the war,Heres a couple bullets he brought home from ww2,The first one is marked 20mm mk4 and is dated 1944,the tip screws off-Does anyone know what type of weapon fired this?
    (Bullets are defused)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the second bullet,it looks to me like a .50 caliber but im not sure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking
    -Joe

2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

firstly welcome Vintovka to the form!

your first pics shows a british 20mm round - which would have been fired from a 20mm anti-aircraft gun like the "Hispano - Suiza" the "Oerlikon" or the "Polsten"

here's a link if you want to know more:

20 mm AA Guns

hope this helps

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cool Ord there. The other one does look like a .50 cal round but I can't say so for sure.

4. Vintovka

Vintovka Member

Totally forgot I posted this,thanks so much for the help guys I appreciate it! AndyPants thanks for the link it was very informative,glad to finally know what I got here. I remember when I was a kid around 6 years old I seen the 20mm in my dads gun cabinet and asked what it was and that was the 1st time I found out my Grandpa was in the war as a Captain,been interested in WWII history ever since.

Thanks again

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The upper picture is of a 20mm Oerlikon round. It differs from a Hispano round by having a less-pronounced 'necking' and also the diameter of the base is lessthan that of the rest of the casing. Used by both Britain and the USA, it was mainly fitted to Naval and Merchant ships in the AA role. I wonder if it was a souvenir of the Channel crossing...?