Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfathers Medal

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Carl1118, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Carl1118

Carl1118 New Member

I was going through my Grandfathers ribbons and medals and came across this medal. Can someone help me identify what and where its from?

Attached Files:

2. Carl1118

Carl1118 New Member

I was looking through my Grandfathers ribbons and medals and came across this cross on a chain that I can't find any information about it. Please help.

Attached Files:

3. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Please do not double post.

Can you upload a photo of the other side of the item.

And welcome to the forums.

4. Carl1118

Carl1118 New Member

Sorry wasn't sure where to put the post. Attached are 2 more pics. Thank you.

Attached Files:

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome aboard.

Double posting happens quite a bit in this subforum. People don't get upset about it but you are likely to get quicker and more through information/discussions if posts go to the correct subforum. A request like this is not out of place here (IMO) but the Information Request subforum would likely be a better spot. A number of others are also possible. If in doubt you can ask one of the admins they are quite helpful and can even move threads or parts there of to the correct spot if warranted..

Another thing to keep in mind is the more information you can give us the faster and more likely you are to get the information you seek. For instance you don't mention your or your Grandfathers nationality or his branch of service. Dates of service would also help some. In my case for instance one of my grandfathers could have served in the Spanish American war or WW1 although both were dead by WW2 the other one could have served in either WW1 or WW2 or both given his age.

We do have some people here who are quite knowledgeable about decorations so I would expect some information in the next couple of days in any case.

*** edit for ***
    Just took a closer look at the first photo. Looks like German and a date of 1905. There are some characters on the back visible in your second post. I can't make them out but they may have some significance if you can clarify what they are that might be helpful.

jagdpanther44 and Carl1118 like this.
  6. Carl1118

Carl1118 New Member

He served 43-45 Army in the 18th infantry F company 1st division. He was wounded on 3/21/45. Discharged 12/17/45. PFC Walter E Benson RIP.
    Thank you for any information you can find. This was the only medal/ribbon I could not identify.

7. Owen

Owen O

8. Owen

Owen O

9. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

You beat me to it, Owen!

My thought was a hunting award as Weilerswist is close to the forested Eifel region.

An online translation of the word shülzen throws up sheriff as a suggestion?

The number on the back could be an indication of silver content. If it is 800 then that would mean it contains 80% silver.

10. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Which record was his?

Please Wait...

11. Carl1118

Carl1118 New Member

He is the very first entry from Massachusetts. The date on the medal says 1905, so not during WW2, but maybe he came across it while in a town or village he traveled through.

12. CAW1

CAW1 Member

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That would make the most sense as to how he got it. More specifically, I can think of a few scenarios: 1) He befriended a local and received it as a gift, 2) He found it, 3) He bought it.