Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandpa's pins, badges and insignias

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by JoshArterburn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The bottom of the issue has been reached. Those are not collar discs they are cap badges and were worn on the over seas cap (envelope cap, p*ss cutter etc). Found a couple on e-Bay one for the 11th Regt. and a 14th Regt.

As for when they were authorized I have no idea; but, I will find out.

2. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I do have quite a few pictures of him in his uniform, but the pins are not visible. There is a "US" disc visible in his wedding picture but it's just a regular one.

http://www.ww2f.com/military-servic...h/44604-help-finding-info-my-grandfather.html

3. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

oh ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for all your assistance in identifying them.

4. formerjughead

No, thank you for posting those up, I had no idea such a thing existed. They were driving me crazy.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I tend to think that the 78/US lapel pins were an unauthorized modification to the standard US lapel insgnia. The men may have worn them, but I suspect that they would have been out of uniform if the specific pins were worn.

6. formerjughead

Is a link to the similar item on e-bay:
    1939-1945 CAP INSIGNIA in GILT WWII WW2 ERA - eBay (item 220703735331 end time Dec-01-10 22:04:31 PST)

There is also an 11th Regiment example floating around over there. I am thinking these are something that were worn when the DUIs were worn on the lapels before the DUI moved to the overseas cap and epaulettes. I have a burning desire to find out more about these.

7. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I have a picture of Charles Rost, published in the book "Breakout in Normandy" by Mark Bando, with collar disks on his collar with the "US" and underneath "67" for the 67th Armored Regiment. Below the picture are the words, " The collar brass bearing the number 67 indicated that the photo was made in the United States before deporting to the European Theater of Operations (ETO)." Looks like it might be a stateside unit thing.

8. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks for posting these images Josh, very interesting

9. formerjughead

I wonder if they are a pre-war hold over along the lines of : "Authorized until no longer serviceable"

10. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I believe it may well be a carryover from WWI--I see a lot of unit numbers on WWI brass. Sounds like they had to use regular "US" brass soon as they left the states.