Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

GREAT BRITAIN - THE TOMMY GUN STORY

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by TD., Apr 7, 2015.

1. TD.

TD. New Member

I recently authored a book on the Thompson submachine gun. It is titled, GREAT BRITAIN – THE TOMMY GUN STORY. It is the first authoritative book written about the Thompson submachine gun since 2009.

This new book follows the Thompson Gun as it was adopted, procured and placed in service by the British military during World War II. Discover by name the people involved in the decision making process, when this American gangster gun was first issued, and the number of guns initially shipped to Britain under the first Ministry of Supply contract. This book corrects much of the misinformation that has been published and handed down over the years. Are you interested in Colt Thompson's in British service; early Savage Thompson guns; U-Boat losses by ship name and number of Thompson's lost; spare parts? And yes, there is a chapter about Winston Churchill. Every piece of information is painstakingly documented via over 350 footnotes, most from information obtained directly from the National Archives in Great Britain and the National Archives and Record Administration in the United States.

I am one of the “other authors” in the current authority on the Thompson gun, The Ultimate Thompson Book (2009). I am also a free-lance writer of stories about the Thompson gun, many published in Small Arms Review magazine.

This new book is priced at $29.99 and available directly from my website:

https://www.createspace.com/5070216

If you have an interest in the Thompson gun please visit my website for more information and a view of the cover. My book is also available on Amazon.com in the USA, UK and Europe. Just search by name. I have noticed that Amazon sometimes offers a preview of a few pages and/or a small discount. For those who live in Great Britain and Europe, Amazon.com for your country may be the better choice for delivery times and shipping costs.

ForgottenWeapons.com published a review of my book several weeks ago. This is a great website for those interested in weapons. The link is below:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/page/2/

Thank you for a great website!

Tom Davis, Jr.
    TD.

2. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

This looks quite interesting TD. I will have to look into this. The Tommy Gun has always been a fascination to me. It's good to see that you already have a good review!

3. TD.

TD. New Member

Smiley 2.0,
    If you like the Thompson gun, I believe you will enjoy the book. While the topic is location specific, there is a lot of overlapping information included because most events during World War II did not occur in a vacuum. I especially designed Chapter 10, Pictures of the Thompson Gun, to be like a walk through time - and a great general reference section for those interested in the Thompson gun but without many of the more expensive books. If you decide to purchase, let me know what you think.

Thanks!

4. TD.

TD. New Member

I am going to bring this back to the top for new members who may have missed the original post. I just noticed that Amazon.com in the USA and United Kingdom currently offer some very good sale prices on my book. More importantly, Amazon also has a “Look inside” feature that allows everyone to read several pages of the book and review some of the documentation cited in the footnotes.

This book would make a great Christmas present for that World War II enthusiast that has almost everything!

The Amazon links for easy reference:

USA: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Britain-Tommy-Gun-Story/dp/1502977818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447371233&sr=8-1&keywords=Great+Britain+-+The+Tommy+Gun+Story

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Britain-Tommy-Gun-Story/dp/1502977818/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447373550&sr=1-1&keywords=Great+Britain+-+The+Tommy+Gun+Story

5. TD.

TD. New Member

I am going to bring this back to the top because Christmas is just around the corner. Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story would make an excellent present for that World War II history aficionado that has everything.

Amazon.com still offers an "look inside" view of the book for those that may want a preview - along with some great Christmas pricing. The December 2016 issue of Guns & Ammo magazine offers a great review by well-known gun writer Garry James. I encourage everyone with an interest in World War II history and military small arms to check out the review.

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

By coincidence I was just last week browsing through my copy of Tom's fascinating book. Well done for getting a positive review in Guns & Ammo......

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Welcome TD...do you have a Thompson yourself?

8. TD.

TD. New Member

Martin Bull,
    Thank you for the kind words about my book.

CAC,
    I do own a Thompson gun, but not a British one. However, ownership is not prerequisite to doing original research and writing about this iconic piece of American history. I am a member of The American Thompson Association (TATA) and The Thompson Collectors Association (TCA). Both organizations have Shows & Shoots each year, usually in Ohio. We have many members that do not own a Thompson gun but enjoy the history and comradery of the organizations. At the shoots these members are always given the opportunity to fire a Thompson as long as they furnish factory ammunition. Be careful. Thompson guns are addicting. We have many members who said they were only going to attend one event. We now see them every year!

CAC likes this.