Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Greetings and Thank you for having me

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Chris Ryan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

Hi all,

My name is Chris Ryan, born and raised on the Jersey shore. My sign in is Chris Ryan, bc I gave up trying to hide my online identity a long time ago. I currently live in eastern Monmouth county with my wife and daughter. I'm an avid fisherman, gardener, BBQ pitmaster and wanna be home chef. My interest in WWII began with my grandfathers and took off from there. I've joined this site in hopes of tracing both of my grandfathers' WWII experiences and to participate in a forum that strives to keep the memories of this greatest generation alive. I'm sure we all felt the sting with then listed "75 years" next to this year's D-Day celebrations.

I was very close to my maternal grandfather, Horace E. Rost Jr. "Rosty" served in Europe with the Army, finishing as a Captain with the 740th Field Artillery Battalion. He was credited with the Northern France, Rhineland and Ardennes campaigns. He finally retired as a LTC in 1963, and I was afforded the generous treatment shown him as a child, visiting the local Army and Navy bases here in NJ. Growing up, I turned to my grandfather for just about any history project that I could tie in with his war experience. He was very open about it, and I have a great deal of info from him to at least start and round out the picture.

Unfortunately, I never met my paternal grandfather, as he passed before I was born in the 70's. William E. Ryan Jr. served as a PFC with the Marines in the Pacific. Although I do have his separation papers, I know next to nothing about his war experience.

I've already requested the entire Personnel Files from NARA, via the next of kin request (I filled out the forms for my parents and even had them sign, didn't even forge). But I'm impatient, and I'm trying to put some sort of a timeline together while I wait for the files, which may or may not even have more info for me.

I'll post another thread to request some help deciphering the Marine separation form.

Thanks again,
    CR

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Welcome aboard...

3. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome from Pennsylvania!

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard!

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Try posting your grandfather's separation papers. There are some knowledgeable people here who can decipher what it says.