Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Greetings from Michigan

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by quicknick, Jan 3, 2010.

1. quicknick

quicknick Member

Hello to all. This is an outstanding site. I have been lurking for a while. This is my first post.
    My name is Nicholas. I am 49 and have been fascinated with WW2 ever since I can remember. This site is just a treasure chest of information, and I find myself reading here all the time now. I may not post too much, but will continue to read and learn as much as I can. Thanks guys.
    While I have your attention, I'd like to give a call out to one of my all time hero's.
    My Sisters Father in law was a Tank Commander during the war.
    His name is....John Fedon US Army
    709 Tank Battalion
    2nd. Platoon
    3rd. tank, 2nd. section
    He was drafted 2/3/42 and honorably discharged 11/09/45. He served in France,Germany, and the Brittany Peninsula.
    In the 25 Years I've known John, he never discussed his war experiences. Upon his return home from the war, his family was instructed to never ask him what went on, and what he saw over there. So no one ever did. Now in his 80's, I decided to be bold and ask him about his experiences. We got on the discussion of WW2 tanks and battle strategies.
    I was surprised to learn that he was excited to talk to me about everything. We sat and talked for almost 5 hours about what he did during the war. Everything from humorous to horror.
    This is not the bitter old war dog I have been warned about, but rather a proud soldier who looks upon his call to war as an honor!
    Now every time I see him at family events, we jump right on the subject of WW2 battles and his crazy stories. He kept a camera in his tank and has photo albums full of great pictures. I am currently trying to talk him into getting them copied so I can share them with you guys.
    I would also like to find more info on John's Company to share with him. If anyone has anything on this, please PM me.
    Thanks for letting me ramble on guys. I look forward learning more about our history. Nicholas

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Hey Nick, and welcome to the forum from a fellow Michigander! You'll be sure to learn a lot and I'm sure someone can help you out with info on John's company. Next time you see him give him a big thanks for his service!

3. Karma

Karma Member

Welcome to the forums Nicholas, looking forward to your contributions.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Nicholas. I wonder just how many of our WW2 vets are like your sister's father-in-law; now willing to discuss their experiences despite a lifetime of people thinking they wouldn't want to. Cherish this time with him, and think about recording his discussions. They will be a priceless addition to family history.

Keep reading and post when you can. We'll see what we can do about filling in details of his service.

You might try this contact:
    709th Tank Battalion (WWII)
    Association
    Mr. Paul E. Claster
    35 Euclid Avenue
    Middletown, NY 10940-6719
    (914) 343-4879

Try here for more information
    709th Tank Battalion (WWII)

And a bit more

25th Infantry Division Association: The Units (Continued)

5. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Hello Nick, welcome!

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Welcome to the forum matey.

7. Reid Neilsen

Reid Neilsen New Member

Hi Nick. My grandfather, 1st Lt. John M. Neilsen was a platoon commander in C Company, 709th Tank Battalion. Do you know what company your guy was in?

Reid Neilsen

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome onboard

9. Natman

Natman Member

Otto likes this.
  10. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome! Rich A. in Pa.