Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Greetings/introduction

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Keystone Two-Eight, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Howdy one and all,
    My name is Steve, I am new to your forums,and am quite impressed with them! Ever since I was a small child, I have had an interest in WWII. I can recall as early as 10 years old, that there was a PBS special on called "World at War", and classes were offered with the program that you could follow along with from home, and I could not wait for it to come on.

I had an Uncle who was with the 28th (hence the name Keystone Two-Eight) from their first day in France to their last day on the front lines. It's actually for his memory that my interest in WWII was once again piqued.
    I have tried to put together his service record, but most of the 28th's records were lost during the war, and the rest were destroyed in a fire in the 70's. He never spoke of it to anyone except my dad-one time only- and he only referenced it once other time, while getting an xray, the docotr asked him if he had received any injuries due to a car wreck, and he said "Oh, thats shrapnel from the Hurtgen forest". Bet that doctor felt kind of uncomfortable!

So what else do you want to know? I hunt; mostly deer and when we are back in my families home state of Louisiana, I will hunt wild hogs. I also like to fish, almost any kind of fishing is fine with me. I am particular to fly fishing and catfishing though.

I am an amateur astronomer, but I really have been slack about that the past few years. I live in a large city, and light polution cuts severely into what you can and cant see, and since you have to drive an hour out of town to get decent night skies, my astronomy has suffered. I also do shortwave radio dx'ing. thats a little bit easier to take care of, as I can listen whilst buolding models. yes, I build models too, WWII dioramas and vignettes, with a focus on the Eastern front. I have a keen interest in the Eastern front, hence the Alfred Regeniter quote.

Well anyway, I suppose that's enough for now!

Otto likes this.
  2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Hello Steve - and a very warm welcome indeed to the WWII Forums ! :)

We've had many an interesting discussion here about the 'Eastern Front' - fel free to browse back among the old threads and if you want to revive any of them, go right ahead.....

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Steve, Hope you enjoy the conversations and information.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Steve, welcome to this great site and we both share many interests--especially the Eastern Front and Knights Cross Recipients.

5. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Welcome Keystone. World at War is something I used to enjoy as well, great series. I can still remember the intro music, it always got my heart going.

Hopefully someone here can assist with research on your uncle.

6. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Welcome Steve, hop in!

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome on board Steve!