Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Greetings to one and all!

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by lodestar, Jun 24, 2024.

1. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Hello one and all
    the Divine and Sentient lodestar has arrived!!:bigmouth:
    Just testing this post out to check it works .

Bit of a luddite when it comes to techno stuff, I’m afraid.

Did spend about 14 years as a regular poster (and major nuisance!) on the old ‘Armchair General’ forum before it’s sudden and unexplained demise a couple of years ago.
    Asked a lot of questions and raised many issues and a lot of questions over the years and hopefully can post some of them again here.

Would be very interested in responses and hopefully some new and divergent perspectives.

Cheers lodestar

Otto likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Welcome aboard..!

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Greetings from Arizona.

4. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Thanks guys, I was wondering how I can create an avatar to use with my posts?
    As I said I'm a bit bloody hopeless with some modern communications procedures.
    My kids (and now soon probably my gran-kids!) explain things to me all the time but I never listen!!!:blahblah:

Interested in all aspects of the conflict.
    Cheers
    lodestar

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!
    Upload a pic to use as your avatar, if you like.

6. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the site lodestar, glad to have you!

We need more divinity and sentience to counter my own meagre obliviousness. You may be a luddite, but you got the smilies going in your very first post.

A bit of a shame the Armchair General forum went away, unfortunately so many history sites have also gone dark over the years. This site needs some updates, but we are approaching 25 years online as of next year.

As for your avatar, you can edit it by going to your profile page and then clicking right on your empty avatar (see the example below). This will allow you to select the image you want to upload. Alternatively, email the image you want to use at the email in my signature, and I'll add it to your profile for you.
    upload_2024-6-24_10-50-15.png

7. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Thanks Otto (I went to school in Tasmania with a guy called 'Otto' you related to him or know him?)

I shall attempt this 'Avatar' creation shortly.
    If successful it shall provide definitive evidence of the magisterial magnificence of the called....lodestar.

Cheers

CAC likes this.
  8. Otto

Most Otto's are members of the International Brotherhood of the Otto, as long as they meet the entrance criterion. If your friend is over six feet tall and very handsome, it is very likely he is a member.

Interestingly, as a child I went to school for a few years near Melbourne, quite close to Tasmania, though I've never been to the Apple Isle itself.

I'm quite interested to see the avatar you select, ping me if you need any help at all.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hey Lodestar, both sides of my family are from Tasmania...I spent four years of my childhood there and visit occasionally. I live in Darwin where i was born these days. Spent four years living in Glenorchy - That should put a shiver down your spine...The Mighty Magpies!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Arrrrggghhhh.................Bloody Magpies...!!! :yuck:
    My wife and nearly all her family, which is huge, are AFL Magpie (Collingwood) supporters. They all supported the Tassie Glenorchy Maggies as well back in the 60's - 80's etc.
    Alas, I'm a dyed in the wool St Kilda supporter.
    Briefly, for non-Aussie posters, the 'Magpies' (Collingwood in Victoria)and Saints (St Kilda in Victoria) are Australian Rules Football Teams.
    Both have been in the league (VFL/AFL) since 1897. There are 18 teams currently in the league.
    The Magpies have won 16 Grand (annual) Finals since then and the Saints precisely 1 (in 1966)!
    I live in hope.

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
    “One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.”
    Regards lodestar

CAC likes this.
  11. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

hello lodestar.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well heres an American who UNDERSTANDS!
    Except you ripped the Pies off by 5 years...Currently fourth on the ladder...And defending Premiers!
    [​IMG]

The Saints have Demons to fight against - And soon (2028) they will have some Devils to battle! Tasmanian Devils!
    [​IMG]

Could this be your second team??

Being a Pies fan i have already crossed the threshold of greatness and made myself at home on the couch...

13. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

14. Otto

It looks like the mighty lodestar figured out the avatar situation. I cannot remember anyone else has ever selected Marshall Foch as their avatar previously. Being a WWII centric site, the French generally get lesser coverage here. It's an interesting choice for a Tasmanian. :)

15. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Easy choice for me Otto baby. Used it for 14 years on the old ACG Forum (just forgot how to set avatars up).

Dad's side of family was French.
    Grand-father served for 4 years in World War One. Including the Marne, Verdun and 1918 Battles.:snoopyace:
    Father served in the French 1st Army in WW2. Trapped in Dunkirk perimeter delaying the fiendish Huns, while those perfidious, dastardly, lily-livered English bolted for their boats.:grumble::pirate:
    Then five years as a 'guest' of the Reich in Stalags, farms and factories.

Mother was from 'Lvov' in Eastern Poland (now 'Lviv' in the Western Ukraine and in the news!).
    She also was a guest of the Reich as a ...... errr...uuuummm........'worker'.

Thanks for the welcome.

When I was young and teachers or other adults asked about my hopes and dreams for the future I always replied:
    “When I grow up I want to be a compelling narrative.”

Regards lodestar

CAC likes this.
  16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

How many British died in the Battle of France1940?
    68,000 dastardly lily-livered Brits...Just saying. ( I beleive the correct terms are "Dirty stink'n Poms!)
    Im a shit stirrer from way back (im Australian) - Being an Aussie you should know we don't hold the French in high esteem...Letting their shitty bombs off in our back yard, Rainbow Warrior and a hundred other reasons...
    WW1 - Of the more than 295,000 Australians who served in the French theatre, some 46,000 were killed in action or died from other causes. More than 100,000 were wounded. There were only 5 million Australians in 1915. To be fair the French still remember..."A poignant Anzac Day Service is held every year at the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux in Northern France.
    Villers-Bretonneux
    [​IMG]
    A beautiful place worthy of Aussie Diggers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  17. lodestar

lodestar recruit

Hi CAC
    Relax mate, I'm a great shit-stirrer as well. In fact I was called the most blatant agent provocateur on the ACG Forum more than once.
    Proud Aussie just like you.
    Just have a French/ Polish heritage.
    Cool huh?:spin: or Maybe Uncool?:angrymob:

But where on earth did you get 68,000 British dead in May/June 1940??:confused: That's nearly 18% of the 1940 British Expeditionary Force.
    I think you might mean 68,000 casualties (mostly POW's or MIA'), which is not the same thing at all.

Local RSL down here is in a Community Hall and a couple of years ago they received a large beautiful framed colour photo of the Aussie cemetery in Villers-Bretonneux from the town's mayor.
    Haven't posted a lot so far. A reply to a thread on the Dieppe battle in the Western Theatre sub-forum and one on German Secret/Advanced weapons programs on the General Discussion sub forum.
    I note you have a RAF or maybe RAAF pilot as your avatar.
    I was in the Air Cadets for 3 years over fifty years ago and also had 15 years as an archivist. Met a former RAAF Wing Commander who once met Douglas Bader post-war.

What are your chief areas of interest?

“When lodestar does not post, many people’s lives feel desolate and empty.
    When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
    Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR”

Cheers
    lodestar

CAC and Otto like this.
  18. Otto

That is quite a background lodestar. One to be proud of for sure, and I welcome your provocateur aspects. In particular, I always appreciate the tactical use of the adjective perfidious when addressing anything Brit ir limey adjacent.

I do remember visting the ACG forum in years past hopefully I can rebuild and restore this site to something akin to that one.

I'm quite happy to have a knowledgeable provocateur here. :explosion1::bastid::explosion2:

19. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I just typed how many Brits died in the Battle of France:

"How many British soldiers died in the Battle of France 1940?"

Britain isolated

A further 140,000 Allied troops were brought out through Cherbourg and Brest. Nevertheless, the BEF had suffered 68,000 casualties.

I'm Irish heritage - A complicated group of people who dislike authority and can be less than serious when it comes to life (except religion) - Like the Scots, very philosophical.
    RAAF Pilot Clive Caldwell - Australia's most successful fighter pilot -28 Kills - Ace in a day. German, Italians or Japanese didn't matter to him. He also flew Spitfires out of Darwin (My home town).
    [​IMG]

Im an aviation enthusiast (Not quite a plane spotter - but not far away). You may have noticed my "Pitch Black" thread - Exercise Pitch Black has begun in Darwin with F-16s (block 50) - Gripens - Su30s - F35s - Hawks - F18 Super Hornets - Typhoons - Eurofighters - F-15s (K & FA-50PH Fighting Eagle) - AV8B Harriers! And even more...Im in heaven.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024