Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

GROPAC 10

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by jhurdle, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

Would like to know how I can find out where the GroPac 10 (Ground Pacific 10) operated in the Pacific. I know there were several groups but am hoping I can find which island(s) this group was on. Would appreciate any ideas as to where I can find this. Thank you.

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

jhurdle likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

von Poop and jhurdle like this.
  4. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

Thank you so much for the fold3 notation. I do have a subscription and will follow up on this. Will also check out the combined fleet information. I have very little information to go on except I know he was in the Navy and was in GroPac 10. Thanks so much.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Do a Google search for gropac 10 (use quotes). There are many references to GroPac 10 in Fold3. Most are in War Diaries. Good luck.

6. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

The addition of the quotes brought up a lot more hits. Thanks for that advice. Can anyone provide information about GroPac's in general? Were they assigned to one island after a landing? That seems to be what makes sense based on the info I've seen. Did a GroPac have only one island or could they have been assigned several over the course of the war?

7. fassfred

fassfred New Member

My Dad was in GROPAC 2. I wrote to the Dept of Navy after my Dad passed away since he wanted to forget WW2. I got a copy of his orders during the 3 years he was in the Pacific Theater. On his orders for GROPAC were the islands he was on. The Gilberts, Solomons, and Marshal. The best I can tell there were 3 types of GROPAC sizes. My Dad was in Acorn or the smallest unit. He was a Coxswain and drove landing crafts to deliver soldiers to the beach heads. Then help to build airfields, repair other crafts of all sizes, build housing, deliver equipment by landing crafts. Sometimes they worked close with the SeaBees. The information on these groups are really hard to find.I guess become they were more supportive than combative.

Should anyone have more info than I got please dont hesitate to post.

lwd and von Poop like this.