Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Group Build #2 Member's Vote - come and vote now!

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by PanzerProfile, Apr 1, 2007.

?

Which model do you think is best?

1. Boba Nette's SU-85 (1:35)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SturmTiger's M- 36 (1:35)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. JCalhoun's M-10 (1:48)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ricky's SU- 85 (1:72)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PanzerProfile's ISU-152 (1:72)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The winner of GBII decides what we build for GBIII.A nice perk I think.A Sherman may or may not fit the criteria.We'll have to wait and see.

2. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what, only for a few days! ;)

thanks for your announcement Ricky, I forgot to post that I was going away for a weekend.
    The final outcome is on hand but I haven't got everything I need for the Admin's team judgement in yet, so I'll have to wait just a little longer.
    See if you can get some more votes! ;)

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, that is true. Mind you, I join in the Group Builds mostly as an excuse to build models rather than with any actual hope of winning. ;)

My models are not bad, but just not as good as some of the others submitted. And frankly I was quite dissapointed with this particular one. I folowed the instructions for the assembly of the tracks on the side you can see in the photo above - and it turned out really quite wrong. Basically the long flat bits were too long, and the track juts out below the vehicle, and also miraculously hovers around the front idler wheel ;)
    In addition the shading went badly wrong - instead of pooling in the low areas, my dark wash decided to try and strip the paint off my model. Fortunately it dried flat, but the result is simply a slightly greyer-looking model rather than a 'low-lighted' model. By the time I had got to that point I had neither the time nor the motivation to give it a dry-brush of white to add highlights instead.

A shame, really, being as the model was intended as a tribute to Dennis.

The model I made for the first Group Build was a lot better.

4. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey Ricky.Your TD looks fine.A rule of thumb with most modellers is to try and make each build better than the last.
    For future reference,when working with link-and-length tracks,try and get the two ends of the tracks to meet towards the bottom of the vehicle.To get them to fit as good as possible you might have to trim a bit off of a link.It won't be as noticeable (if at all) once it is painted.I personally have never had L&L tracks match up perfectly.

5. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah I must second ST's opinion there. those rubber tracks hardly ever fit together, and the fact that glue hardly sticks to it makes it even harder. Indy links are just much better. The only tanks I have that have good rubber tracks are some Hasegawa (not painted :( ) models and the panther G. With the latter I had to stich the ends together and hide it behind the sideskirts :lol:

6. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I like Dragon's rubber tracks.

7. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I love the tracks on that 1/35 Tamiya Crocodile I built.They were designed so regular model glue will hold them together.

8. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Was yesterday or today the last day of voting?Looks like a rock solid tie between JC and BN for first!

9. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ooh!I got another vote!Thank you to whoever!

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I try (and generally succeed), but not quite this time. Oh well, another lesson learnt!

I usually engineer it so the inevitable gap is safely hidden under a track guard. Unfortunately in this case I assumed that the instructions were correct without checking first :roll: . The basic problem was that the short lengths that were intended to go between the road wheels and the front idler were too long, and by the time I had got to that bit it was too late. The other side I did my way, and it looks absolutely fine. Sadly that was not the side I put the slogan on.

11. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, There you've got a very fair point. I actually have to correct myself here cause the rubber tracks on the Sturmtiger of Dragon I made came along just smoothly. The only point with those was that it took two to three times longer before the paint was dry. With dramatic results for my fingers :D ;)

12. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We have a winner!

Dear All,

One of the most thrilling moments in the GB competitions. At least for me, because the Forum admin are proud to present the final out come of GB II!

As you may have seen in the Members’ Vote we had to deal with a winner Tie between JCalhoun and Boba Nette. The judgement of the GB Team delivered no less than two other ties, but those did give a clear insight in who should be the winner of this GB.

1. JCalhoun
    2. Boba Nette
    3. SturmTiger
    4. PanzerProfile
    5. Ricky

So first of all I'd really like to congratulate JCalhoun with his second victory! You’re getting good at it :p
    I will create a winner’s certificate and send it to you as soon as possible. A screenshot shall be posted in this thread for others to see.

Secondly, You may decide which tank family is going to be the subject of Group Build no. 3!
    You probably already knew though. I hope we can make GB III as much fun as I and II were.
    Many thanks to all who participated, the members who voted and last but not least, the forum admin for their help in solving the tie!

Greets,
    PP

PS- I’d like to congratulate Boba Nette for becoming second with her second model ever. You even outrank ST now! I’d like to encourage you to keep trying, maybe there’s a victory for you in the next GB…?

13. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ricky, maybe you could borrow a better camera somewhere or study yours a little more. I really think that the slightly blurry pics cover much of the quality of your model! just a suggestion ofcourse, my camera wasn't very good either.

14. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Congratulations JC!2-0.I'm itching to see what we build next.

15. David.W

David.W Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    I wish I had known that it was only BN's 2nd ever model.

What an achievement! :)

16. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually,it's her third model.The first two were a 1/72 M10 and a 1/72 Jagdpanther.The SU-85 is her first 1/35 kit.I must admit,I'm very proud of her.

17. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    First let me congratulate JCalhoun on his victory. It was a victory for me just to be tied with him. Your models are awesome!!! Secondly thanks to all who voted, and supported me. I especially like to thank ST because with you behind me. I know I can do anything. Honestly, guys this group build wore me out. I tried so hard this time, and worked so hard. And to sweat out the voting process, and the tie. Literally wore a girl out! Congratulations to all who entered for it is a victory in itself just to finish a model in time to compete. Thanks again for welcoming me, and I'll see you next group build. :D

18. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yup.She has definately been on edge the last couple of weeks.Being tied all that time with JC really rattled her nerves. :D

19. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks everybody! I'm both thrilled and relieved. :D

I want to take a moment and remind everyone that this build was in Dennis's honor.

Would y'all like to wait awhile before we do the next one or should we jump right into another?

20. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Since you get to pick what we build next (Lucky Dog) let us know if you have something in mind.Each GB so far has been six to eight weeks in length with two months in between builds.This gives us plenty of time to get what we need for the next GB.
    Last but certainly not least,here's to 1950willys.Dennis will most certainly be missed.I have an M36B1 on my shelf that will always remind me of him.