Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Group Build II,Allied Tank Destroyers 1940-1945,Who's In?

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Boba Nette, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Myself and Boba Nette are gonna take another shot at the title.Including the reigning champ,JCalhoun,that makes three contestants so far.Who else is gonna step up to the plate?

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm hoping to be able to give it a go this time, other commitments on my time permitting...

3. 1950willys

1950willys New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ive got an awful lot of out of town trips coming over the next few weeks, I will try my best to get something built, figures, i got a few tank kits for christmas, but no TD's LOL, back to the hobby store

4. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Depends on the deadline. I've got a suitable kit, but no time until mid February at the earliest, and then not a lot.

Tom

5. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ST, you have no idea how badly I want to build a model. ANY model! Well, I need to finish my green Puma, but that's a different forum...

However, I have to tweak almost 40 maps, then I have another 25 or so to draw. Plus the two research projects I have going. Oh, yeah, I have to tend to the family, and go to work, too.

One of these years..... :-?

6. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey guys,SturmTiger here.I myself have stuff to finish.Would a start date of February first be OK?That would give us a bit of time to finish other stuff,order kits...etc.Just kicking around ideas.What do you think?

7. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    February is good with me. I think having them three or maybe four times a year rather than every other month will keep folks from loosing interest.

8. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We checked out two hobby shops for Allied TD's yesterday.We found a Trumpeter M10 and a DML ISU-152.Boba thought the M10 was a bit pricey and the ISU-152 was a Chinease version.I don't know how much different that would be from a WWII Russian vehicle.It looks like we're gonna have to order something through the mail.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ISU-152 was more of a self propelled gun though wasn't it? As far as I can tell the SU85 and SU100 were dedicated TDs, the ISU122 and ISU152 were SPGs used as TDs.

Perhaps we could clear this up before people get to the point of ordering kits? JCalhoun has already said that SU85 and SU100 are fine, but not commented on the ISUs.

I think we need to agree on which types are OK and which aren't before we start.

10. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This area does get a bit foggy,doesn't it?

11. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
  12. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We found an SU-85 on Ebay for Boba Nette.Yippy!

13. Cholbert

Cholbert New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Cholbert

If the start date is in February I may be able to join in this time. Only thing is I'd need to get all new kit for making models since mine went out some time ago. It's going to be expensive! Mkae note to self - find reason/excuse for wife on what's going to happen to my money :D

14. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Just buy what you need for the model you choose.No more,no less.If I had to replace all my hobby supplies in one shot,it would cost me a fortune.

15. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The SU-85 and SU-100 are good. The ISU's I consider to be SPG's and not TD's.

16. Cholbert

Cholbert New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For the US, Britain, France and Canada we have the M10, M18, M36 (Jackson), Achilles and Archer.

The Archer is only available in Resin at either 1:76 or 1:35 scale by Milicast or Accurate Armour (most expensive at around £70 for the 1:35 they do http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=1&subcategory=1&product=1).

Accurate Armour also do a 1:35 Matador 6lb Portee truck that is interesting but pricey.

Academy make the M10/Achilles, M18 and the Jackson in 1:35 but there are apparently accuracy issues.

AFV club make an M10/Achilles but same applies to Academy kit - (apparently best way to make either M10 or Achilles is to combine the AFV and Academy kits).

Tamiya do the SU-85 in 1:35 and an M10 in 1:48 (also an SU-122)

Reviews on most of these can be found on the PMMS site.http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/

My own preference would be an out of the box build with minimal extras/replacement parts added.

17. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There is a 1/35 scale Archer available.I believe it is from Maquette.It is a higher end kit in parts (resin and maybe PE) and cost ($60).I found it on Squadron's website.

18. Cholbert

Cholbert New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Maquette kit is a rip off of the Accurate Armour kit. It has been reported to the trading standards office in the UK and AA are attempting some action against Maquette. Please don't support rip off merchants! :D

What they did was copy the detail parts and PE that AA did - thats the resin and PE part of the kit - the rest of the kit is still the horrible ill fitting Valentine chassis that they did. The suspension and wheels are a nightmare to get right. I know I did it when they first released the Valentine - without major surgery to parts the suspension was either toe in or out (nothing in between). It's a shame as they did some nice stuff of their own without needing to rip-off others with bad copies.

19. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm glad I mentioned it.I was gonna pick up this kit.Forget it now.

20. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi all!
    I saw you've all been working on the GB II a lot during Christmas. Great! So we're going to build Allied Tank Destoyers, that's fine with me. I'm afraid I cannot completely ban scratch build parts though. Like last game, we allowed some of it so that the more skilled modellers would not loose creativity and that worked fine, so I think we're have to go with that again. If it's no problem with all of you, ofcourse.

The Start-date of February 1 seems inevitable since everyone is very busy in January, and so am I so that seems ok with me. The total time for the game itself will once again be six weeks. No more, no less ;).
    How do y'all feel about this?