Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Guadalcanal & Convoys in the SW Pacific 1945

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by raywood, Sep 26, 2018.

1. raywood

raywood New Member

My searches are not producing insight into several questions, with a particular interest in April 1945:
    • Is there a good map of convoy routes in the general area of Australia, New Guinea, and the Philippines?
    • Would those routes have included Guadalcanal, or was it (as I suspect) generally bypassed and out-of-the-way by that time?
    • Would troop ships from the U.S. have gone from San Francisco to Guadalcanal, or would they rather have gone to Finschhafen, Hollandia, or some other port in the region?
    It seems the port at Guadalcanal was developed after the Allies captured it, but I'm not sure to what extent.

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

It depends on where in the Pacific the troops were headed. Guadalcanal was developed into a major training base, but obviously all troops didn't train there.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Funafuti was the major convoy destination in the area, convoys came from Pearl Harbor/Honolulu.

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...The Canal certainly was not an ''efficient''/developed port during the critical, early battles ......in fact, it wasn't a ''port'' at all--at first ..I thought Tulagi was developed more as the Naval port since it had a sheltered harbor