Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gulf War Tank Battle

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Kilgore, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, me too. Even if its a peice of junk. I would at least want to hit them where the can't hit me. or even see me.

2. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I'm surprised the iraqis had any tanks left over from the first Gulf war , seeing how the american air force destroyed so many of them . 8)

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, a lot (numbers are arguable, but certainly a fair few! ;) ) of the 'tanks' destroyed by air action were decoys.
    This is no reflection on the Coalition forces, but does show that somebody on the Iraqi side had a few brain cells in working order.

4. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They didn't have many left. Have you heard of any tank battles in the latest Iraq war? They went from having the 4th largest Army in the world with over 5000 tanks to what they consisted of in 2003. Perhaps that is why they tried a different tactic i.e. an insurgency supplemented by panregional Islamic terrorists rather than a direct military confrontation..they knew what would happen if they were so unwise once again.

5. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    to bad it didn't save Saddam from being found in a whole on a farm ! :lol: this being the guy who ate caviar for snacks and drank out of golden faucets ! :lol: :lol: What a Loser !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Maybe, but what did it accomplish? Where are those tanks now and what are they doing? One thing is certain the Iraqi army was no match for a US armored corps either in 1991 or 2003 ;)

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh good heavens no -

What it did accomplish was allowing Saddam to keep his regime going after the UN / Coalition withdrew from Iraq after freeing Kuwait.

And also to allow him to feel / boast security.

And hey - in wartime, distracting enemy airpower with dummy targets is never a bad thing. It distracts them from real targets, it screws about with their intelligence (Saddam has 100 tanks, but we've destroyed 150!)... etc