Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HALF A LEAGUE, HALF A LEAGUE ONWARD...

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, May 20, 2004.

1. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Find me a nation that did not use slaves...

Many African tribes/nations were only too happy to capture slaves by the thousand to supply the Europeans.

Although without the demand we created, that level of slave-raiding would not have happened.

One big, sorry affair.
    I feel ashamed at my country's part in it.
    The only bright spark is that we were one of the first to outlaw slavery & the slave trade.
    (but also one of the first to start it up on such a huge scale, following the example set by Spain).

I've forgotten what point I was trying to make.

Oh, yes, selective memory!
    It is funny how the Western Nations do get blamed & held accountable for everything we do, when everybody else behaves the same way but gets away with it!

2. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, of course they forgot about that part. The black activists here in America do, too. They also tend to forget the very active participation of other Africans in the slave trade, who saw nothing wrong with selling members of neighboring tribes to the slavers. Plus, the Asante nation of what is now Ghana practiced slavery on a scale as grand as anything that went on in America. This fact also gets overlooked by those who want the West to take the blame for slavery.

3. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I can´t. But not every nation got their slaves from Africa. Both Iceland and Norway made slavery illegal in the 13th century, and it´s unlikely that slaves were brought from Africa before that. Most slaves were other Norwegians or from other Northern European countries. There are known examples of slaves from Turkey and the Balkans though, but none from Africa.

4. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2
    So there has been no slavery in Norway since the middle ages?
    That's impressing, considering that in Western Euroipe, it lasted 500 more years.
    (For example in France it was only abolished in 1795)

5. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No, the landowners realised that feudalism was cheaper I guess.

6. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, that and they took their conversion to Christianity seriously...

Actually, one reason for the lack of slaves is the waning fortune of the Scandinavian races. After the 'Viking' explosion of the 8th-11th Centuries (last great act was invading England in 1066, but being beaten at Stamford Bridge) Scandinavia basically became a bit of a backwater (no offense!). No military conquest = no slaves.

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, but you can't quite say the west is free of blame, either. However I do think it's overdone to apologize for something that even the blamed countries now see as fully wrong, and which is not entirely their fault. Slavery is a widespread idea, and even the most sophisticated ancient cultures (Egypt, Greece, Rome) used slaves.

8. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Indeed. Even the Asante people of what is now Ghana on the west coast of Africa practiced slavery, and slavery is still practiced in Sudan and parts of Nigeria.