Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HALIFAX

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by halfhardy, Mar 29, 2010.

1. halfhardy

halfhardy recruit

hello i'm looking for info about my grandad.he was shot down on the 25/8/1944 over Watten he was in a HALIFAX MZ844.his name is Thomas Fraser Flt SGT or NAV2

2. Icare9

Icare9 Member

10 Squadron Halifax Serial Number MZ844. Coded: ZA-D Operation V-1 Site. 25th August 1944

Airborne 18:36 25 Aug 44 from Melbourne to attack the V-1 facility at Watten. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. Those killed are buried in Longuennes (St-Omer) Souvenir Cemetery. F/O E. Walton KIA Sgt W. Hannah Evd F/S Whittaker KIA
    F/S T. Fraser Evd
    Sgt C.J.R. MacDougall KIA Sgt P.H.C. Ware KIA Sgt C.A. Byng KIA

As he was helped to evade capture, there will probably be Evasion Reports that they completed when they got back to the UK. There is probably some further information in that to pinpoint where they actually crashed.

This chap is recorded as the Navigator:-
    Name: WHITTAKER, JAMES
    Initials: J
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 10 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 25/08/1944
    Service No: 1601229
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 6. Row C. Grave 5.
    Cemetery: LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

There was also another Sgt T Fraser on 76 Sqdn but he was captured after his Halifax LK922 was shot down on Jan 21st 1944, so clearly a different person.

Hope this helps towards building the information you seek.

3. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Hi This should be under information request. Welcome to WWII Forums and happy posting.

4. greglewis

greglewis Member

Evaders' reports can be obtained online from the National Archives - at a small cost, a few pounds, I think.
    The following link should get you to the point where you have to make a request. You will need to specify the evader's name and report number and then just follow instructions. You can email the archive for guidance.

Good luck! Greg

The National Archives | Your Options

5. alieneyes

alieneyes Member

Indeed there is, in this case.

From Oliver Clutton- Brock's "RAF Evaders", 1551981 Sgt. T. Fraser submitted a report dated 14 September 1944. It can be found at the National Archives (formerly the PRO) at Kew. The file number is WO208 3350/1479

Greg, unfortunately TNA has changed their ways rather negatively as of late. One of the things they are now doing is charging for an estimate. What's new about that? It used to be that the money was then credited to your order. No longer. And with parking fees now being charged and no longer open on Mondays it's made the place a nightmare to get to and to use.

6. greglewis

greglewis Member

Hi
    I've only ever ordered on line with them. That went went well.

Oliver's book is exhaustive. Excellent stuff. He very kindly referenced my book Airman Missing which is now sadly out of print. AM is about John Evans, another evader from a Halifax.

The NA helped me get John's report (as a birthday present for him). They are only short but still fascinating.

It's a shame if the NA are making it harder to search.

7. revbucky

revbucky Member

Glad to see you here. I'm new too.

8. gaetsag

gaetsag New Member

[QUOTE = "halfhardy, post: 406273, member: 14986"] bonjour je cherche des infos sur mon grand-père. Il a été abattu le 25/8/1944 à Watten, il était dans un HALIFAX MZ844. son nom est Thomas Fraser Flt SGT ou NAV2 [/ QUOTE]

bonjour je vis dans le village en france ou l'avion de votre grand-père a été abattu J'ai plein de choses à te donner cordialement gaetan
    voci mon mail
    gsag62@hotmail.fr

9. gaetsag

gaetsag New Member

[QUOTE = "halfhardy, post: 406273, member: 14986"] bonjour je cherche des infos sur mon grand-père. Il a été abattu le 25/8/1944 à Watten, il était dans un HALIFAX MZ844. son nom est Thomas Fraser Flt SGT ou NAV2 [/ QUOTE]

bonjour je vis dans le village en france ou l'avion de votre grand-père a été abattu J'ai plein de choses à te donner cordialement gaetan
    voici mon mail
    gsg62@hotmail.fr