Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Harry Leslie Smith

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by The_Historian, Dec 2, 2018.

1. The_Historian

The_Historian Pillboxologist Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

"Harry Leslie Smith, the political activist and second world war veteran who survived the Great Depression, has died in Canada, aged 95 - after sharing one last beer from his hospital bedside with his son.
    Mr Smith, who rose to fame in 2014 after giving a powerful speech at the UK Labour Party's convention, was hospitalised in Ontario, Canada since November 14.
    While his father was unwell, his son John Smith took over his Twitter account, which has more than 254,000 followers around the world.
    At around 8:30 GMT today, John Smith tweeted: 'At 3:39 this morning, my dad Harry Leslie Smith died. I am an orphan. #istandwithharry'.
    Hours earlier, he had tweeted saying Harry had 'a good night' but appeared to be 'very tired'.
    Mr Smith had been touring the world's refugee hotspots when he fell ill before his flight back to the UK, his family two weeks ago.
    After a fortnight of ailing health, the veteran activist, who once told then prime minister David Cameron to 'keep your mitts off my NHS', finally succumbed having sipped on a final beer with son just a few hours prior.
    Born in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, Mr Smith served with the RAF in Germany and in recent years campaigned on behalf of the NHS.
    Mr Smith survived Britain's post-First World War recession in abject poverty and spent much of his later life campaigning to ensure others did not experience the same, his son said.
    The nonagenarian documented his fight for social justice in a podcast called 'Harry's Last Stand.'"
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6437275/RAF-veteran-political-activist-Harry-Leslie-Smith-dies-aged-95.html