Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HEADS UP ERROL FLYNN FANS AND FANS OF CLASSIC MOVIES :-D

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by C.Evans, Jul 10, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I wanted to give you fans of Errol Flynn a heads-up on some FINALLY released classics never released to DVD or some even to VHS) before--till now that is.

What im talking about is that TCM is putting out a boxed set of Errol Flynn classic which include none released before cept for Objective Burma. Anyway, the movies are:

1) Desperate Journey which also has Ronald Reagan, Alan Hale Sr, Arthur Kennedy and Raymond massey.

2) Edge of Darkness. This movie is about the Norwegian Resistance movement in WWII. I cant remember whom else stars with Flynn in this once seen (by me) classic but im thinking that Agnes Moorehead might be in it????

3) Northern Pursuit. A movie set in Canada ;-))

4) Uncertain Glory-another War movie ;-))

5) Objective Burma.

Also, on the classic front-a release by the Criterian Collection of: Night Train To Munich, is also being or is already releast. This has Paul Henreid in it. Its an Wartime Espionage movie and was simply a great movie.

Amazon.com lists the Flynn box set for $38.49 free shipping. Im getting my set next month.

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

great news carl, the great man himself..

3. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

Errol Flynn is reputed have had one LARGE attribute!

But being a Tasmanian, he is not out of the ordinary, at least around here. ;-)

America, and the world are indeed fortunate that he and his partner John Wayne were available to win WW2 on their own.

John.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, John, thought you would like very much knowing about these releases. ;-)) Also, Warner Bros has been releasing for several months now-classics to DvD. Most of those classics are rarely seen and most are by demand-meaning a print is not made to DvD unless a person requests one. Darbys Rangers and Carbine Williams are two of many I plan on buying at some point ;-))

Ive been waiting for these to be printed on DvD for as long as I have been collecting them-about 10 years now ;-))

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

my favs: robin hood, of course. the sea hawk, they died with they're boots on, actually! all of them..

C.Evans likes this.
  6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

I cant remember the movie title but there was an Pirate movie with Errol Flynn, and in that movie i´ve seen a white Pick up driving down the hill to the harbour! Nice to see that the pirats in the 17th century had Pick up´s:)

Regards

Ulrich

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, I had never noticed that before but ill look out for the truck next time I see his Pirate movies. I have Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk on DvD a boxed -set. There are a few others he did ive never seen and it might be on one of those? As far as Sea hawk and Hauptmann Blut is conderned ;-D ive never heard of any story about that happening in either movie-but in The Alamo-the John Wayne version, its been long rumored and seen by others cept for em-that during one of the battle scenes, or slightly before the attack, that you could see a yellow school bus in the background.

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Carl,

years ago i came across a website where some of the mistakes where showed in pictures. Bad that i cant remember the site!:-( Maybe that i´ll find it again. There were nice scenes like radio antennas in an Musketeer Movie and an an midage knights movie where one knight has a watch on his wrist. I dont know the exactly name of the Movie with the white Pick up in it. The title was the German one and i dont know the english version.

Take Care!

Ulrich

9. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Carl,

didnt found the white Pick up but found this!

Regards

Ulrich

Attached Files:

C.Evans likes this.
  10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I heard he was coming back for a tour de Force in the TdF next year .......... or maybe that was a relative ?

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

It's the flying trojan horse...;)

12. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

uumppff! Now i know that i am so bad in history!! LOL

Regards

Ulrich

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, E, RAy and al,

Ulrich, thanks for that one with "Pretty-boy" brad Pitt and the "Lufthansa" foto ;-)) I never saw that movie with him in it as im not a fan of his but, id be willing to watch that movie just to see that particular shot ;-))

No telling which movie it was your mentioning but since Flynn did so many movies taking place in that time frame, it could be anything ;-))

I almost forgot to mention that over @ www.dukewayne.com-in the sections profiling war and western movies, they have a lot of movie gaffs posted but no fotos.

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You know something I find amusing about what American TV series that are shown in Germany are called-very funny names which is a literal translation of the TV shows title. Take a classic Ami Western Tv series for example--Gunsmoke. I heard it was called something like "Rauchen von der Pistolen" (Smoke From the Pistol) or something similar ;-)) Hogans Heroes is called: "Our Caged Heroes" or something similar.

I wonder what the German title for McHales Navy would be? "McHale im der Kriegsmarine? :lol: :lol: just kidding of course ;-))

Im sure Bewitched would be something like: Fraulein der Hexen? ;-))

15. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Carl,

Some movie titles are funny as you stated:

Hogans Hero´s = Ein Käfig voller Helden ( I love this soap)
    Gunsmoke = Rauchende Colt´s

Sometimes the translators seem to have to much fantasy.

Interesting is an old pirat movie with Burt Lancaster ( Red Corsiar or so) where he is navigating his ship lonly over the endless ocean and an modern tourist cruise ship is steaming trough the background.

Or the smoking Centurio in "Masada" Couldn´t see if he smokes Camel or Lucky Strike´s.

Regards

Ulrich

Ha HA ha !!! Attached the wrong pic, was from the movie" How to tune a Swiss K31"! Sorry

Attached Files:

C.Evans likes this.
  16. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Now the right one! Its in his right hand.

Ulrich

Attached Files:

17. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

I forget the name of the movie but it was a old black and whit WW2 movie about Americans in china trying to stop a Japanese offensive (operation ichi-go?)and some chinese chick was with them lol.Their was one American who liked the Chinese and was passing out rations to some people and some Chinese thugs killed him and the sergeant got mad and in ended up fight bandits any one know this movie?? Thats all i can remember.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, Masada, id forgotten about that gem of a mini-series. The watch, ill have to look out for that too-as I want to order that mini-series on DvD.

The Burt Lancaster movie your thinking of is: The Crimson Pirate, and I THINK its on DvD and is a movie ai have always wanted and wanted to see ;-))

Mark, the movie your thinking about is: The Mountain Road w/ James Stewart, Glenn Corbett and I THINK Henry (Harry) Morgan. Its been about 30 yeas since I last saw that movie from beginning to end. The one thing I hated about that movie was the guy always crying for milk. Glenn Corbett was the one passing out rations to the Chinese people and got trampled to death for his efforts.

19. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

Right yea that was it i forgot about the milk part i thought i was funny.Their was another black and white movie i saw about the Korean-war will towards the end i say maybe mid-late 53? It was just to the point where back and forth battles.Any way the movie was a bout American soldiers storming a hill trying to take it back from the Chinese And they started rolling grenades down the hill and every one was talking about the wars almost over and that stuff and Sergeant want to make sure that everyone knows that wars not over yet and keep focus.I dont remember much but the ( Chinese were Butt ugly) I think the movie was called hill 105 or something like that.

20. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

hamurger hill..scene..The North Vietnamese hiding safe in their bunkers during air-strikes, only to emerge and start shooting and rolling grenades down the hill again on the paratroopers?