Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hearts of Iron II Doomsday Discussion

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Ok fellas, I've decided to do a few new things. With the new sprites I have, the game looks a lot better, along with the new colors for the countries (Diplomacy View). I will be playing three campaigns as follows:

The New Roman Empire: An Italian AAR
    The Reconquista of Spain: A Nationalist Spain AAR
    The Frogs of War: A French AAR

I will try to make each AAR as entertaining as possible. I will painstakingly right down every move, every unit, every unit location, every active General, every change in government, and ever important world event. I hope to at some point become good enough at the game to make a USSR AAR and a German AAR, as I believe these are two of the most challenging countries to play as.

I'd like to keep the AAR threads as clean as possible, so all discussion of my AARs will be kept in this thread (which I will sticky). Just make sure, when responding, to mention which AAR you are talking about!

Salute!

2. Mussolini

I started the introduction threads for the three AARs. What do you guys think of them so far? Pretty clear cut what my Objectives and Potential Problems are?

3. Mussolini

Some thoughts so far:

Spanish AAR:

I believe the territories one controls at start of this scenario is random every time, and also depends on which foreign countries back up the Reps/Nats. Obviously I started with German and Italian help (5 units total) and started with a good portion of Spain (no colonies in Republican control). Fighting was easy. Only problem is that i start 2-years behind everyone else. I imagine my role with the Axis will be minimal, and I doubt i will be able to turn the tide/course of war.

Italian AAR:

Ethiopian War was even easier than Spanish Civil War, and only slower because of the lack of infrastructure. I decided to leave only a group of 3 Militia in Adis Ababa and remove all other troops back to Italy or North Africa. I don't count on the French being a factor in North Africa, so I stuck some militia units on their Tunis Border to control an important port there. The others have been turned into defense units in Rome, Sardinia, and Palermo. I have about 12 - 16 Infantry Divisions, some with recent experience (from Ethiopia) poised to be transported over
    to Spain for the Civil War there. Hopefully, Republicans have a territory next to Gibraltar, otherwise i'll have to DOW Nat Spain.

French AAR:

Haven't posted update of this yet, but compared to the other two its pretty calm. I decided to keep my forces in Tunisia in Tunis, along with the division or two from Morocco. None of them are Militia surprisingly, and one is a HQ unit, so i should be pretty set against Italians there. France itself will have to stand as is...cant spare the IC to build more Ground Fortifications (already start with 170 of Upgrades to make). I might try and build some AA though. I have reshuffled my armies, with three armies in reserve locations (cover territories bordering Germany and the Lowlands. A 4th Army (cav) is in position to be able to head south in worst of cases.

Your thoughts so far?

4. Repulse

Repulse Member

this what happened on one of my senerios i made japan a superpower for one i did not attack china and two i made japan have an invincible army navy and air force and of course i have a couple of nukes.:D

5. Mussolini

Italian AAR:

Spanish Civil War was tense time for me. Did i go in while the Nationalists were still around? I thought this at the beginning of the war when they were actually doing good. As soon as it came apparent that they were going to lose, I began getting ready to invade Spain myself. I knew right away that I could only move 6 Divisions at once due to the amount of transport ships I have, and luckily most of my armies are in stacks of 3. I also figured that Seville area was last area for the Nats, so most of the Rep's Armies would be down that way. Barcelona of course became the obvious target which is why I hit it first, plus the Naval/Air Base in Tarragona. All the territories needed to annex Spain are in Spain, so i didn't bother with their colonies. I am not sure if I ever will liberate Nationalist Spain. They won't have an army or be in position to help me. Having Spain under my control gives me a broad, undefended front to attack France along, not to mention access to Gibraltar!

Spanish AAR:
    I decided to Ally with Germany because the blue-prints would greatly speed up research (once research, i have to spend IC's on upgrading my units) and I want to be in such a position that my own forces mirror those of Germany. I am also building up some Tanks for obvious reasons. I am shying away from Cavalry as i don't have any and it would be a waste of research. I also decided that my Navy, which is incredibly weak, is better used as a trade item then anything else. If Germany is willing to trade me some units or techs for my Navy, all the better for me. I can always build transports, and will hold onto by Subs and DD's, but I don't envision my battles expanding beyond France in the near-future.

France AAR
    The SCW looks pretty even right now. The Nats control the North, the Reps control the South and the Colonies. Hopefully the Reps win this one, as it would mean one less Nazi/Fascist State to worry about. I have added detachments to most of my units on the Maginot Line, ATG, AAG, Artillery, Engineers, in the hopes that these units will bloody the Germans and hold the line. I am counting on the Italians being too weak in the South to do anything down there. If they do, I have a Cav Army that can move quickly to the region and hopefully stem back the flow. I am also now going to start mass producing Infantry and Tanks and Fighters in the hopes to counter everything the Germans throw at me.

6. Mussolini

Well, Time to break the post count of 1,111 (as cool as that looks) with an update from the Frontlines in Europe!

My Italian AAR has progressed 2 weeks into World War II (and already double the notes compared to previous updates) and the War is going as expected so far. German Troops are slowly marching through Northern Italy to get into France (and might make it in time to face the French Troops that are amassing against me). I've reached Vichy (just South of Paris) and control all of southern France against little opposition other then in the East, where my Mtn Troops destroyed the French. However, that brings me close to the Maginot Line, and the troops there are starting to look southwards. They vastly outnumber my invading forces too.

My Air Force has been doing a great job, and my Navy has only lost 1 Transport Ship while sinking a handful of semi-important French and British Ships. Egypt, my Tanks have nearly reached EL ALAMEIN though the poor infrastructure means its slow going in all aspects. The Nat Spain haven't done anything, perhaps engaged UK Ships, can't really tell, and Germany is close to taking Poland and has not attacked Low Lands or France yet.

7. Mussolini

Anyone reading my AARs? Would like to hear some feedback. If no one is, i'll stop posting updates.

8. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Readed all now. Looks like a fun game, can you still buy it?

9. Joe

Joe Ace

Of course where reading them! :D Please continue! There alot better than what I was planning!

And yes Sturmkreuz, you can still buy it. Google it and you should get a site to order it from.

10. Repulse

Repulse Member

anyone read my one on soviet union?

11. Mussolini

My time is more limited, and i hope i didn't dispose of my latest updates (Written on paper) since i am still in the midst of the move. I'll see when i can update them again.

12. Mussolini

I'll hook my computer up tonight or tomorrow and resume. I think I'll only continue writing the New Roman Empire AAR and the Frogs at War AAR. Its very tedious task and time consuming and my time will now be more limited with work. I am out of the house from about 8 AM till 8 PM most week days.

I am also thinking of starting a new AAR where YOU get to decide what happens (pretty much). I'll consult you the reader as far as what branch of technology i should research, what my game plan should be, what units to produce, etc. If that sounds interesting, let me know, and we can decide on what country I play as.

13. Mussolini

UPDATE

Playing the Nationalist Spain AAR for fun, and will post some screenies once i get hooked up to the Net.

I controlled southern france for maybe a month or so. My initial attack against minimal French forces went well. My tank division is clutch. However, France has moved forces in from the North, so battles have been 14 French vs 6 Nat. Spain Divisions. So to prevent losses, i've decided to move back nearly to my border. I control 3 provinces in France, using a river as a good defensive border, with my Tank Army positioned behind it, along with some Inf and Militia units. I moved my Mtn Div + 1 Inf Div in Pax, a Mountain Province that is originally French too. Will be key province if they want to push me back to Spain. Also moved my other Tank Army (2 Div of Light Tanks) along with 6 Inf Div into a Forest Province in France next to the Mtn Province. This will have to be their main avenue of attack to get around my fortified River/Mtn line.

Sadly, the Germans have done nothing. They annexed Poland recently (its Nov 1939) but haven't moved against France, despite only 1 Inf Div from France defending Maginot Line!!! Italy has been a bum too, and doesn't have any force on French border for some reason and is not part of Axis. Japan just annexed Nationalist China though! (then freed it as a Japanese Puppet) which is pretty cool. Just the Commies left over there.

I've lost most my African Colonies. Damn frenchies are just marching around while my one army tries for Algiers. I've got 2 Inf Div scheduled to be deployed Dec 1st (should have made a serial prod of them to be honest) and a serial of 3 Inf due to be done July 1940. Hopefully, Germany will be attacking France by then and the additional units once deployed will help me take back southern france.

The blasted Brits stole my island too! I'll get them back later - they destroyed my transport fleet. :(

14. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Hahah sounds interesting. Never played as Spain. Did you attack Gibralta at all? Would of been nice to the Brits out of there! Ready for updates!! :)

15. Mussolini

Yeah. Gibraltar was first to fall. My crap navy (read my AAR that i did write of it) managed to destroy two british ships before getting wiped out itself. I only have 1 ship right now and its a transport.

Oh, and Vichy France has been formed. I managed to nab Toulouse before that happened (literally a second before it happened) but Vichy France took my African Territories, they didnt get returned to me for some reason. But those 5 french territories are still mine - frenchies won't give them to me yet.

So now I am starting the long walk over to mother russia. I plan on concentrating my forces in the South. Not sure how much help I will be to the Germans with such a small force.

Also, my tech is a million times better then Italians. Italians are way behind in technology, its rather sad.

16. Mussolini

So war in Africa is going good. Italians took Egypt and are heading South. I took Suez - woot for my one transport attack! - and that area. Since we were doing so good, Iraq shat in their pants and left the Allies, and now grants Germany and Italy Military Access. What about me? I mean, like WTF is up with that? So...I liberated Palestine and Jordan Instead, Syria having been formed from the French colonies over there. So the Mid East is very pro-Axis at the moment. It would have been odd liberating Israel for so many reasons.

Hungary recently joined the Axis too, so this is how the Axis stands:

Germany
    Nationalist Spain
    Italy
    Hungary
    Romania
    Slovakia
    Syria
    Jordan
    Palestine

I've moved my Russian bound forces into Romania I believe, since they have no Tanks to speak off and i am hoping it is enough to keep the Southern Flank Alive.

My Stuka's have raped so many units now that they have nearly 100 pts in Experience, and their leader is at least level 5 experience now too.

My lonely transport should have 4 friends in the next 4 months or so, but now I dont think I will need them. I'll move my lone tank division to Russia, but the 3 Inf can stay to guard the Suez. So yeah - i control both ends of the Med Sea.

When we go to war with Russia, Finland will surely join the Axis, and hopefully my Nationalists can match those Russkies despite having a very very long trip to get to Russia.

Japan annexed communist china too - added it to Nationalist China. I imagine the Japs have some pretty pretty industrial capabilities now with such a large 'puppet' nation plus the outter territories they claimed. Will be interesting to see if it helps them at all against the US, and how Russia will react to them if Japan joins Axis...

17. Mussolini

Well I had to reformat my computer etc so I lost all my AARs :(

I'll start posting pics of the German Campaign for you guys soon, and ask you to determine my immediate course of action.

Once the Italian Mod comes out, I will start that one up again, along with the French and Nat. Spain AARs.

18. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Sorry to here that man. Hope you continue your posts. I love HoI2DD!

19. Mussolini

The mods I DL for the game make it look amazing and sound amazing! WOW

Is it sad that I am playing HOI II DD on christmas day?

20. Joe

Joe Ace

Ha ha! Depends on your PoV.
    I think I might go on it later, the two games I got for Christmas are, in Frank, crap.