Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heavy Metal B-17 sequence

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Mar 29, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

One of my favorite scenes from the movie Heavy Metal :).

YouTube - B-17

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

"Nice" one thanx!

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thanks. I was watching the South park episode that "honored" Heavy Metal and thought people here might appreciate the sequence from the movie. :)

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey JC, I can't access utube and was wondering if you can take a pic of your favorite scene and post it here? Purrrrty please ;-))

5. cd13

cd13 Member

Thanks for posting this...one of the coolest, and most GROTESQUE, cartoons I had ever seen at the time. Loved it! Now can we get a full length motion picture dealing with zombies and ww2 warbirds?

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Sorry C.Evans I didn't see this post :). Here is a short synopsis ot the B-17 sequence in Heavy Metal.

"While not describing each episode in detail, my favorites are offered here as examples of the best of HEAVY METAL. The "B-17" sequence is an excellent adaptation of the EC style horror comics of the 50s. Here a B-17's bomber crew flies into the thick of enemy anti-aircraft fire during a night bombing mission; the full moon riding shotgun to the plane in a starry sky. It's not long before the bomber's crew in the tail and fuselage of the plane are riddled with bullets from "nightfighters" that have risen to meet them, and shrapnel from the exploding anti-aircraft rounds. Though the co-pilot knows what the silence he hears over the plane's intercom means, he still goes back to check on the condition of the crew. In true EC fashion, he is greeted by the horrifying blood spattered remains of his crew, rocking silently in death as the plane limps its way slowly back home. Unfortunately, they are not alone, for he sees the plane is being pursued by a glowing green meteor, which rams the fuselage and enters the craft. Its poisonous glow penetrates the bodies of the dead crew, and something happens..... On the way back to the cockpit, the co-pilot hears a noise from within the ball turret for the belly-mounted machine guns. Opening the hatch, he looks inside, and is pulled in....by something, that tears him apart. When the captain hears the screaming, he leaves the cockpit to check, and is greeted on the other side of the cabin door by the festering, semi-skeletal remains of his crew, dead, yet alive, and very eager to greet their captain. Locking the armored cockpit door does not keep them out, as they soon break it down with sledgehammer blows from their fists; point-blank gunfire from his service pistol has no effect. The captain desperately bails out of the plane, leaving the ghouls behind, and parachutes to safety on a small island....or so he thinks. He is soon startled to see his surroundings are littered by jungle-overgrown wrecks of airplanes, of all sizes and descriptions. With that discovery comes another....he is not alone. The following ending is brutal, savage, ironic, and perfect."
    HEAVY METAL movie review

Maybe you can view it here?​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Pacific Pearl from Heavy Metal
    This is the B-17 bomber, Pacific Pearl, from the movie Heavy Metal.

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks J.C. This sequence of scenes were some of my most favorite from this movie as well. I especially liked the machinegun action scenes the best.

It's been years since I last watched this movie but, I remember seeing the last (and late night) showing of this movie when it was at the local theaters in Kingsville--many years ago. The animation was the best I ever saw-that is, until I saw the animation used in Akira.

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I have always been impressed with it. One of my favories especially for that time. :)

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Same here and I also plan on getting the DvD sometime ;-))

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I liked this so much I thought I would bring it up again :).

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert