Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello, fellows. I'm new here.

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Ripvulcan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Ripvulcan

Ripvulcan Member

My user name is the absurd Ripvulcan, but you can call me Paul. I've joined this Forum as I'm interested in the Second World War, and wherever it was conducted on land, sea, or air. I'm rather middle-aged, but one is never too old to learn something, which is what I intend to do here. And I'm an Australian originally from the fair city of Adelaide, the capital of the fair and sovereign state of South Australia; I was occasionally resident in Canberra, too, our once-proud nation's capital; and have been a denizen of Sydney on the shores of Port Jackson for some time now. All of this probably means very little to most of you, but I'm throwing it in just the same. Anyway, I hope I've put you in the picture: if so, great; if not, hard luck. Good evening, Paul

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Howdy Paul, good to have another Pom in the forum.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Ahhh...Canberra....the city named after my favourite aeroplane...well it was Bucaneer actually but no city named after it, so canberras my second favourite..

Wellcome to another Aussie...Do we now have enough to ship over as an expiditionary force?

Its what they do...

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Welcome! This is a fine place. You will enjoy your time here!

Cheers!

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy Paul and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. Happy posting

6. Ripvulcan

Ripvulcan Member

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind and welcoming remarks. I say "gentlemen" of course as I am assuming that all you well-wishers that posted those comments are male and over the age of twenty-one, which I am fairly sure you all are.

However I must take issue with being described a "Pom" by the one who goes by the handle of Slipdigit and ask how he came to the conclusion that I am a Pom, i.e. an Englishman, after all I had written. Clearly this is not so.

I repeat that I am a native of Adelaide, South Australia (a Croweater in Australian slang: South Australians are nicknamed Croweaters by those from the far less enlightened Eastern States), a former resident of Australia's capital city, Canberra, in the Australian Capital Territory (where the nicknames for residents of this city and territory are frequently expressed in foul language, containing as they do the country's national government and opposition and the machinery of government administration, and so are home to the various rogues and scoundrels commonly called politicians and civil servants), and now I am a denizen of Sydney, capital of the most central of the Eastern States, viz. New South Wales, this city and once-hard-working seaport on the shores of Port Jackson, i.e. Sydney Harbour. How could anyone with a history such as this be described as a "Pom"? I mean, really. I am a fifth-generation Australian, sir, and no mistake about it.

PS: I'll display the Australian Red Ensign as my avatar to ensure that no further confusion about my nationality arises in any future post. PJMS

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Rip, please see my PM to you.

8. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Welcome aboard, Paul!

I met my wife in Adelaide, although she was originally from Miri on the island of Borneo.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Regards,
    DA

9. krieg

krieg Ace

Welcome aboard mate
    you will enjoy your stay ... Krieg

10. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hey Paul welcome to the forum, I could spend hours on here, (which I often do). lol

I am sure you will too.

11. SteveM

SteveM Member

Welcome to the forum!

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome Paul, welcome to this fine place. I hope we"ll have some nice discussions together

13. Ripvulcan

Ripvulcan Member

Thank you, DA. Good to hear that you met your wife in Adelaide. Adelaide can be, and often is, conducive to romantic interludes.

14. Ripvulcan

Ripvulcan Member

And thank you once more, seasoned members, for your welcoming remarks.

15. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Welcome mate.

16. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Welcome aboard....