Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from a New Recruit - let the research and planning commence

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Herman90, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Herman90

Herman90 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've stumbled across the forum as I've begun my research for my 2019 Operation Personal Commemoration plans. I'm fairly new to military history with WW2 being the period that both fascinates and humbles me the most.

A few years ago I passed through Arromanches with some pals during a European motorcycling holiday. I wish I could have spent time there to learn and "feel" the history but our schedule didn't allow it. Then more recently, my son bought me the boxed set of Band of Brothers and this rekindled my resolve to find out more about the reality of the war in Europe and develop a better knowledge.

My late Uncle was highly decorated having served in several theatres in Europe and Africa and will soon be paying a visit to my Aunt to try discover more about his service and experiences.

I wish to mark next year, the 75th anniversary of the D Day landings, by travelling in my Land Rover across the channel, to see the beaches, the battlefields, the memorials, the cemeteries, the museums and follow the path of the breakout into Germany. This could be something like a 2 week tour but as yet I don't know where to visit or allocate my time. Is this a realistic timescale? I'll probably want to spend a little time on home soil too, to visit significant venues where planning and preparations for the landings took place. As the plan comes together i'll share my thoughts. Is anyone else thinking of doing something similar?

If anyone has any "must sees/must do's" they can recommend, I would really appreciate your suggestions.

In the meantime, I'm going to immerse myself into the history and background and learn the basics.

I look forward to getting to know as many fellow forum members as I can here.

Peter

2. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, sounds like a wonderful itinerary. I wish you the very best in your adventures.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Fundamental references to be found in my sig. Have fun.

4. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Peter, it is great to have you, feel free to ask any questions you may have, and I also wish you luck in your adventures to Europe and beyond!

5. Herman90

Herman90 New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

7. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Try using the search function at the top of the page for more links

Here's one to start off with....
    http://ww2f.com/threads/normandy-trip.30227/

I am planning to be over in Normandy for the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings next year and I'm currently keeping a look out for information on what events will be taking place during that time.

I suspect there will be very few veterans there as many will be too old/frail to make the journey or have passed away.

8. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum! Rich A. in Pa.

9. Herman90

Herman90 New Member

Thank you for the link John.

10. jagdpanther44

Your welcome.

Here are a few places, in no particular order, that I would suggest visiting in Normandy:

1) All five landing beaches
    2) Merville Battery
    3) Pegasus Bridge
    4) St Mere Eglise
    5) Mont Ormel visitor centre
    6) Tiger tank at Vimoutiers
    7) Dead Man's Corner
    8) Arromanches
    9) Moissy ford
    10) Bayeux
    11) Hill 112
    12) Ranville
    13) Falaise
    14) La Fiere bridge
    15) Carentan

On another note, where did your European motorcycle tour take you?
    I have done 2 tours in recent years, taking in France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and the Netherlands. During the last tour I stayed in Colditz castle for the night and also Wewelsberg castle which was once Himmlers SS training/education centre.

Kai-Petri and CAC like this.
  11. Herman90

Herman90 New Member

Those look like great suggestions John. Thank you.

Unfortunately, my motorcycle tour wasn't in any way following a military history theme. It was one of my pals who planned the whole itinerary. That said, he did an excellent job and it was a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

We started in Normandy where I was able to get a quick look at a couple of beaches, the American cemetery and Arromanches. We had a trip down into Brittany to St Malo and Mt San Michel. We skirted through Belguim and on to the Black Forest, Austria, Switzerland and into Italy, taking in the Dolomites and lots of spectacular alpine routes including the Grossglockner and Stelvio.

The boys I travelled with just love to be riding and on the move all the time. Fun but it only makes me want to return solo so I can spend more time seeing, doing and getting to know something about the places I visit.

12. jagdpanther44

Sounds like you had a really interesting trip.

I've rode the Grossglockner and also the Timmelsjoch pass in to Italy from Austria. The latter was a little scary as it was very foggy higher up in the mountains so I had to keep an eye on my on my sat nav so I could anticipate upcoming hair pin bends in the road!

Me and a mate have another european tour in the planning stage for sometime next year. Not sure where we will be going but it will certainly take in more WW2 places of interest!

I currently have a Yamaha TDM900 but I'm hoping to change it for a KTM 990 Adventure or BMW R 1200 GS Adventure before the trip commences.

13. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Oradour sur Glane.

14. Herman90

Herman90 New Member

John, I feel the TDM was a much overlooked but extremely capable and competent machine. It would be a shame to let it go. Having said that, if you've had a ride on the GS i'm sure you'll have been impressed. I ride the R1200RT. A pal of mine (who was on the tour) had the KTM for a while but he swapped to the GS too. He loves it. There is strong talk of BMW bringing out a new 1250 variable valve engine this autumn so you could be good to pick up the outgoing model for a discounted price?

I'm itching and twitching for another European motorcycle tour but I may have enough on my plate with my Land Rover plans. Please do drop me a line and let me know what do decide for your itinerary.