Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Germany

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Bomber Ink, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bomber Ink

Bomber Ink New Member

Hello All!

My name is Jens Becker, I go by Jens which is pronounced Yens (like Japanese money with an s at the end!). My forum name is Bomber Ink. The reason for this is that I recently acquired a personal storage box from a WW2 U-Boat commander out of which I am going to make wooden pens and fountain pens. Originally I was going to make them for myself, but since I've started that project I thought it would also be cool to keep making pens out of other WW2 items, so I thought Bomber would be a fitting name and the Ink is a play on words for Inc.

I am 29 years old. My grandparents were young children in the war and my great Grandpas were both POWs, one was in the USA and the other in France. My interest of late has been Uboats, and battles fought around Kassel, Germany. Since I have always heard war stories, including the story of my Berlin born Grandpa who watched Hitler speak, it's always been of interest to me, but never really that much. That changed with my recent purchase of this commanders footlocker. I started researching his name, found out all the places he had been, etc and that has led me to read other personal accounts of happenings like memoirs and letters. It's quite a fascinating and emotional subject.

Home right now is Fritzlar, Germany. Although I have spent quite some time in North America so I can speak English and German fluently.

Although I have collected some War memorabilia over the years, like gas masks and belts I can't say it's been a hobby. Though now doing some pen making related to WW2 is turning into a hobby. I used to be a carpenter so I like working with wood and something like a pen is a useful tool and being able to have one with a special, personal story to it is even cooler.

Unfortunately my grandpas aren't around anymore and I never thought of showing them a forum on the internet, I'm sure they would have loved it. I do still know some older people with war stories so as things come up, maybe I'll be able to help someone on here find answers to their questions.

I think that's it for me!

Jens

Otto likes this.
  2. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard!

5. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Bomber! It's great too have you here!!

6. Bomber Ink

Bomber Ink New Member

Thanks everyone!

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome, Jens. Interesting hobby you have. I hope you check to be sure the WWII items do not have significant value before turning them into pens. :)

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Welcome aboard...any pics of the pens?

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Howdy Jens and welcome.

10. Lisa Stade

Lisa Stade New Member

So have you been researching Hitler? Also it's cool that your Grandpa saw Adolf Hitler actually make a speech? Are Hitler's speeches's really that hypnotic as every person cliam's they are. Since I have watched Hitler's speech's they don't sound as mezmerising to me. Also what have you learned about Hitler so far?