Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Orange County California

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Sorry for not getting in here and introducing myself. Prospero Quevedo 63, I'm a native Cali born in downtown Los Angeles. I started building models when I was five years old, my family later told me they thought I was going to be a genius I would build my models be so nest with my glue no spilling. Lol they told me that years later and I told them I was sorry I disappointed them and wasn't a genius. By middle school and high school I was into large scale 1/32 tanks and aircraft. In Jr. Coolege I got into 1/144 started with LS kits they were very inexpensive and very detailed. They were one of the first companies doing etched detail even ha sagas and tamiya were just starting. Anyway the company disappeared could never find out if they just went under or bought out but their old molds still seem to resurface now and then. I'm hoping to meet other 1/244 modelers to discuss kits and products. Have a great day to all on the forum.

Half Track likes this.
  2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Salutations Prospero Quevedo! Thought you were in the South Bay but you really are south.

Not a model maker and I'm struggling with cabinet making (never took a class but am armed with a tablesaw and hand tools).

3. Prospero Quevedo

I've built book cases and cabinets. You'll want things like squares maybe a four foot level camps vise clamps etc. most can be bought at harbor freight very in expensively. But a set of good ratchet clamps from lowes is best cost more but made to last. Broke a couple of my harbor freight ones the first day they replaced them no prob but a hassle when your in the middle of a project. Do you have a rockland cabinet supply near you. Built some shelving from cabinet siding3/4 inch from Home Depot beautiful plywood on sale per 4x8 foot sheet they cut it for me no charge into twelve inch wide eight foot lengths. How are you planning to join your pieces I used a coninstion of dress and nails. You'll want some wood glue a gallon refill bottle is almost what a large application bottle is so I bought one application bottle snd the refill bottle. Some people like to fill a bowl or jar with glue and use a cheap throw away brush you get a better even coat of glue that way but usually have a little bit of waste. What kid of backing are you going to use they have a fiberboard backing very strong I like to use 1/4 inch ply very strong and rigid. Are you going natural finish or painted. Are you making standard floor or wall cabs or custom?

Riter likes this.
  4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard!

5. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I could apprentice under you. I used those trigger clamps to hold things together and to get my 90 degree I made wood right triangles with cutouts for those trigger clamps. So long as the two sides were touching the non-hypothenuse sides of the triangle, I knew it was ninety.

The cabinet is slightly over 48" tall, slightly over 24" wide and about 18" deep. It's designed around those center drawers from an oak school teacher's desk that I salvaged from a garbage pile at work decades ago. So, there's be four of those drawers and two shelves for binder sized material.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  6. Prospero Quevedo

Sounds good well good luck on your project.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The clamps that hold two pieces at right angles gets a lot of use from me. Or did, I should say. Yard sale in Boss Lady's future.

8. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of used Oak furniture. Old oak lasts. That college kid Ikea stuff fabricated from particle board is the debbil's disposable furniture.

9. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Glue & screws (and some nails). Most of it is unseen. I'm thinking of wood dowels to secure the facing material. Backside is the same as the sides and three of the shelves: 3/4" oak. Unseen cleats are smaller pieces of oak plywood or even pine (whatever I had at hand). BTW, first thing I bought was a fresh bottle of wood glue. I knew the bottle I had for over a decade would run out and it did. Using an acid brush to apply it on the wood.

BTW, working on it was the first time I did a stop dado cut on a tablesaw. Lurn'd that rite thar on U-toob. I finished with hand chisels. I didn't have the radial arm saw, but I have one now. Still have to read the manual for that (and the router/router table).

10. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome! Had me confused for a minute there.

11. OpanaPointer

My GF used to live in Lakewood. On Coke Ave. So, when I went up for the weekend from San Diego I'd tell the troops "If you need me I'll be LA, on Coke." Nobody ever asked. :cool:

12. Prospero Quevedo

Lol
    lol that can be taken in so many ways. Good thing you didn't get pulled over by the chps and say that. Have you ever done stand up at the improv I think you could do it.

13. OpanaPointer

I was one of the "Navy Feds" then, badge and all. The local heat got $50 for every deserter they bagged for us. Even the cops that never met us had heard of us.

14. Prospero Quevedo

Lol well that's convient. My buddy was with the Costa Mesa pd his parents had a fish supply business fresh fish to restaurants and markets. That get a big rush order for Monterey well that's a hell of a long drive he takes they order and is driving peddle to the floor board and the chps tag him they wanna know where the fire is tells him he's doing a rush order for his parents fish business and has duty that night. Hyde let him go telling him not to cause any wrecks. He's racing the other way back the same chps drive up along side waving and laughing. I think that was around when he had his little episode. He was working double shifts he was still the new guy so they got a lot of the grunt duty back to back shifts swing and grave. To make things worse he was having trouble sleeping because a crow decided it was a great place to sit in a tree in the back yard and caw all day. He was starting to suffer from sleep deprivation. One day he had a dream that crow was at it and he took his gun and shot it out of the tree. He woke up from the best sleep in weeks goes out for the paper his neighbor says that was a great shot. My friend is what are you talking about. That crow you got him with one shot, I don't know what your talking about goes in is like oh shit checks his service revolver a spent round. Goes in the back crow feathers on the ground. Is how am I going to explain how I'm short a round to the duty Sargent . Goes in tell the duty Sargent he needs another round because he lost it while cleaning his gun.

15. OpanaPointer

I passed a CHP car on I-5, just south of San Onofri (wp?) doing about 120. I slid down to the scenic overlook near Pendleton and was smoking a cigarette when he caught up.

"I know it was you."

"Been here a long time, officer."

"Your engine's still cooling down."

"Hot bikes and hot women, nothing better."

Riter likes this.
  16. Prospero Quevedo

Lol yeah know that spot used to stop there on my way back to Oceanside on my long hated drives to Los Angeles the traffic was always hell. Would stop there sometimes try to gets etching from the vending machines that were usually out of order or sold out. What a nuisance should have built a gas station convience store there probably would have done good lots of cars would stop there and check out the machines to their disappointment. Wonder what there going to do with onofre. The last overhaul was supposed to keep it going twenty years but barely made ten like wtf happened how could they be so far off they have done overhauls before and it lasted as expected what changed. Used substandard piping the close down was due to excessive corrosion of the piping system. Did a lot of rewiring Union journeymen five to ten years experience. Prevailing wage, one of our past governors wanted to end prevailing wage and open public works that were usually Union to independent. Lol I was with the San Diego Ibew and we had supported the guy during elections beside he promised to support union jobs. Hahaha, politicians are such two face liars. Anyway got the unions all over th state up in arms.

OpanaPointer likes this.