Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello - New member researching WW2 Grandfather

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by EDavis73, Jan 3, 2018.

1. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

Hi everyone! Hope the holidays treated everyone especially well.

I've joined the forum to do some poking around and networking to see if I can find more information on my grandfather who served with the 44th Infantry, 71st Regiment. He has some unique citations (Silver Star and Croix de Guerre) that I believe came from actions during the Battle of the Vosges Mountains (January '45).

I'm at the very beginning stages of my research so I'd welcome any direction on narrowing him down to (hopefully) his company.

Thanks and see you in the forums!

TIRDAD likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I have some info on the 44th ID and 71st IR. If you provide his name, I will see what I can find for you. Also, if you can post the citation for his Silver Star, that may be helpful as well.

TIRDAD likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum! Rich A. in Pa.

5. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

Awesome - thanks! I'm asking family to see if we have a copy of his Silver Star citation.

Name: Daniel W McCarty, TEC5, 71st IR - Medical Detachment. Hometown is Independence, MO. Drafted February of '43.

6. TD-Tommy776

He is listed on the Home of Heroes website as a Silver Star Medal recipient:
    McCarty, Daniel W. HQ, 44th Infantry Division, G.O. No. 31 (1944)

Unfortunately, that is all they have. If you do find his SS citation, you might want to provide a copy to Home of Heroes so they can update his record on their website.

As I said, I will see if I can find any info in the records that I have. I would not expect too much, but you never know. If you come up with any additional info, please post it here. It may be helpful.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I upload_2018-1-4_21-18-36.png
    I assume this is his draft card.
    If you have any other paperwork (separation papers, etc.) please feel free to post them.. The information contained there is important in finding other avenues.

You might want to look through this site to see if there is material you can use. WELCOME TO THE 44th DIVISION/71st,114th,324th REGIMENT SITE

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    JJWilson and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  8. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

@LRusso216 - yep. That's him.

Just today I did find this nugget in "United States Army, "71st Infantry Regiment" (1946).World War Regimental Histories. 68."
    "71st Infantry Regiment" by United States Army

Extracted from the PDF. He is mentioned by name, second column.

I have a copy of his separation paper which I will scan and upload. I'm also checking with family to see what other hard copy documents we have.

Attached Files:

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A good find. Nice to see him mentioned by name. Goes a long way toward understanding why he was awarded the SS.

10. Jaap Vermeer MDE

Jaap Vermeer MDE Active Member

article

Attached Files:

11. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

Oh that is cool - thank you!!

12. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

I've scanned his separation report.

Attached Files:

13. Jaap Vermeer MDE

14. Jaap Vermeer MDE

15. TD-Tommy776

I'm glad you found the 71st Infantry Regiment's unit history on the Bangor Library's website. I was going to suggest you check it out. For those who haven't downloaded the page, here is a transcript of the paragraph regarding Pfc. McCarty:

"Typical of the bravery of the Regimental Medical Detachment in this period was the action of Pfc. Daniel W. McCarty. On the 26 October, he left his sheltered position during an intense mortar and artillery barrage to go to the rescue of five wounded men. Administering medical aid to them while still under heavy fire, he prepared all the men for speedy evacuation. McCarty’s action undoubtedly contributed to the saving of their lives. For his gallantry, McCarty was awarded the Silver Star and the Croix de Guerre."

This action took place just 3 days after the 71st Infantry first entered combat near Foret de Parroy, France.

Here is a page from the 71st IR Operations Report for November 1944 showing the list of awards. Pfc. Daniel W. McCarty appears at the bottom left of the page.

71IR Opn Rpts Nov 44 - Awards.jpg

Also from the Regimental history, here is the roster of the 71st Infantry Regiment's Medical Detachment:

71st Inf Regt Med Det Roster.jpg

16. Buten42

Buten42 Member

You may already know this, "In 1947, a policy was implemented that authorized the retroactive award of the Bronze Star to soldiers who had received the Combat Medical badge during the Second World War. The basis for doing this was that the Combat Medical Badge was awarded only to soldiers who had borne combat duties befitting the Bronze Star Medal and also that both awards required a recommendation by the commander and a citation in orders"
    So says Wicki. You have some really first class documentation on your grandfather, a true hero.
    Oh, welcome to the Forum.

17. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

@TD-Tommy776 - where/how would I go about finding additional Operations Reports for the 71st? My interest on his entire unit has been piqued. Thanks in advance.

@Buten42 - thank you!

18. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums Davis! Great finds on your grandfather, I'm sure you are extremely proud, as you should be.

19. TD-Tommy776

Unit records are held at the NARA in College Park, Maryland. The thread "Unit Operational Records" will explain how to go about it -- in particular, post #2 by Natman. It is still current with the exception that the drop down menu option he mentions is no longer there. I think I may have the index of records for the 44th ID, but I will have to track it down. If I find it, I will post it here. You will want to check both the 71st IR and the 44ID records as it is normal for Regimental records to also be in with their parent Division.

IMO, the types of reports that are the most useful are the After Action Reports, Operations Reports, and Journals. AARs are usually straightforward narratives describing events during a certain period. ORs also contain narrative elements, but also record personnel lists (i.e. awards, casualties, etc) and other miscellaneous items. Journals are very interesting in that they are a minute by minute record of all communications to and from the CO of the given unit. So, there can be multiple threads of communication going on at virtually the same time. Consequently, it can be difficult at times to follow any one line of communication. My recommendation would be to start with ORs, and see what you find. You already have a lot of narrative info in the 71st IR History from the Bangor Library.

I should add that I have the ORs from Nov 1944 and Jan 1945. I got them as part of my research into my great uncle's Tank Destroyer Battalion which was attached to the 71IR in Nov44 and Jan45. I could probably email the Nov44 OR to you, but Jan45 is very large. That is due to the fact that the 71st IR was ground zero for a major thrust of the German attack named Operation NORDWIND, so there was a lot to report.

EDavis73 likes this.
  20. EDavis73

EDavis73 New Member

Thanks - I think I stumbled upon the procedure to request records via NARA but I'll check the thread you mentioned. I submitted a request for the 71st IR Medical Detachment records and I got a reply so the waiting begins. I may also be in DC in February which may provide an opportunity to browse / inquire in person. My grandmother (his wife) is still alive, although in failing health, so I've asked her if she would help fill out the request for his military records and I just need to meet up with her to get her signature. My family is thrilled with all the information I've found so far and I'm excited to share what we've complied. If you're willing to share the Nov '44 and Jan '45 records with me I can PM you and set up a shared google folder.

What started out as a fact-finding mission on my granddad has evolved into a quest to re-construct his regiment's actions. I'm excited to see where this may lead.

How cool is this that our relatives were attached to the same regiment? He was 776th?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    KMZgirl likes this.