Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help identifying a WW1 medal and 2 WW2 British medals

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Panzerknacker, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

The WW1 medal is as follows:-

The ribbon is centralised by a wide orange stripe, the sides are blue with a slim black outline with small white bands. The medal is decorated with King George V and on the back is a depiction of St George emblazoned 1914 and 1918.

The WW2 medals:-

The first one is i believe, awarded for gallantry in the defence of Malta. On the back is a Maltese Cross-emblazoned-"To bear witness to heroism and devotion". the medal was awarded in 1992 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Malta fiasco.

The other is a cross with swords-that has a picture of a king-apparently it is Greek in origin-i recently acquired a magnificent set of medals-One WW1 set and one WW2 set.(All original)

The WW1 set is the aforementioned medal and a WW1 Victory medal-however-it must have been unloved as it is in quite bad condition.

The WW2 set is flawless. It consists of the 2 aforementioned medals as well as:-
    The 1939-1945 Star
    The Atlantic Star (My pride and joy)
    The Africa Star
    The Pacific Star
    2 Defence Service medals

Any feedback would be great-i got the medals from a Merchant Marine sailor from the UK who passed away last year and until recently i didnt even know he served...

2. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

The WW1 medal is the 'British War Medal' which is in silver and was given for service in WW1. In the Navy you could get it for only 28 days service, but in the Army you had to serve overseas. It is normally impressed with the details of the recipitant. Soldiers from British & The Commonwealth got this.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert