Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help needed with information on the 344th Combat Engineer Battalion (WWII)

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Beaux6, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Beaux6

Beaux6 recruit

Hello !
    I'm new to this forum and am hoping to be in contact wih anyone that has any information on the 344th Engineer Battalion. My father was attached to the "344th" in Arzew Algeria on 1 September 1943 as Company C commander (originally landing in Oran on 1 April 1943 being attached to the 384th Combat Engineeering Battilion). 1 July 1939 was his initial date of entering the army as a 2nd Lt. (1st. Engineer Battalion, 1st. Div. assigned to Company C and had proudly served his country for 30 years. My dad has passed away for almost 5 years now and I recently came across an interview with one of my sons (a school project) just weeks before he died. I learned more about what he was involved in from that interview than what he was willing to talk about for all those years with myself and my brother.... He served overseas for 30 months from North Africa to Italy to France to Germany and Austria, and sailing back to the states in October of 1945. just wondering if anyone has any information on this unit or has any one who may have served with the 344th.
    Thanks in advance for your help !

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

344th Engineer General Service Regiment
    29 Apr. 42 Activated Cp Claiborne, LA
    1 Jul 42 Left NY
    12 Jul 42 Arrived England
    1 Feb 43 Landed at Oran
    17 Nov 43 landed in Italy
    15 Aug 44 Assaulted southern France
    22 March 45 Entered Germany
    29 Nov 45 Arrived New York
    30 Nov 45 inactivated at Camp Shanks, NY
    Campaigns: Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe.

He would be entitled to a battle star for each of those campaigns to be worn on his European-African-Middle Eastern ribbon.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can be of assistance. Do you have any of his records or medals? If not, go here for help in obtaining what your want. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Good luck.

C.Evans likes this.
  3. Beaux6

Beaux6 recruit

Thanks for the info.
    I recently found a color map (22"x22") that shows the "Route of B Company/344th Engineers World War II" following a route from England to North Africa to Italy to France to Germany to Austria back out to Germany to France and departing from Marseille.

Thanks Again !

jayjbs72h likes this.
  4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Lou, you never fail to amaze me with the stuff you can dig up on our guys. Thanks for teaching me something new ;-))

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

6. Janet

Janet recruit

My dad was in the 344th Combat Engineers from Camp Claibourne, LA.... I have this army "ike" coat and would like to identify all the patches on it. Also he has a shirt which I am not sure is his.. has a large R 1852 on sleeve, was originally made in Boston Ma but not sure it is part of his uniform. Have info if you would like to contact me. Janet

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Janet,

Post a photo of what you have questions about and we'll answer the questions for as best we can.

8. Janet

Janet recruit

Sorry lost my computer info a couple of months ago.... will try to see if my son still has a copy.... sorry for the wait.

Janet

9. Norseman

Norseman Member

Welcome to the forum Beaux6

10. S.M. Kozubek

S.M. Kozubek New Member

My father was in Company C of the 344th Engineering Battalion, 6th Army Corps. He didn't talk a lot either about his experiences in the service but one assault he spoke about without much detail was the battle around Monte Cassino. You can view some footage online or the History Channel.

This from Wikipedia: The Battle of Monte Cassino (also known as the Battle for Rome) was a costly series of four assaults by the Allies in January, 1944 against the Winter Line in Italy held by Axis forces during the Italian Campaign of World War II.

A moment of silence also today in memory and honor of those who died 76 years ago in the Normandy invasion.

11. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

12. Philip Lewis

Philip Lewis New Member

A little late to this thread as I was looking for the name of the Company C (Captain William ??) in September 1945. My father was Lt. Col Charles F Lewis, Battalion Comander of the 344th. I was born in 1942 and never saw him until after the war.