Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help needed

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by PanzerMan, Jan 7, 2001.

1. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hello Volk,

I need your generous help on the following questions...

1 ) What Heer Units / Divisions had Asiatic soldiers ?? I mean people of a more Asian Chinese look and features and NOT the Ost battalions.

2 ) Were there any evidence of Asiatic Soldiers in the Waffen SS?? I heard that the 33.Waffen-Gren.Div. der SS "Charlemagne" (französische Nr. 1) had a few " Asiatic " soldiers. Was that true??

Thanks in advance

P.S : To Otto, did you received my reply to the e-mail u sent??

* Alvin *
    Alvin's waffen SS Homepage
    SS Freiwilligen Legion Norwegen
    http://alvinlee_81.homestead.com/home.html
    * Just Updated *

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You will most likely see Asiatic looking soldiers in the Russian volunteer Waffen SS Legions. Sorry I don't have any better info for you.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've been in contact with Alvin about this for a few days now, it's actually a topic I'm quite interested in. From our conversations I think Alvin is not so much looking for "asiatic looking" *(see below), soldiers, but actual asians, such as Chinese, Korean etc.

*By asiatic looking I'm referring to the asiatic look of many of the far Eastern peoples of the USSR. For example, people from the areas around Mongolia.

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 07 January 2001).]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No problem, I just misread his question. This is definately worth looking into. I will see if I can find out anything and will get back on this.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

No you didn't misread, it just depends on your definition of "asiatic" wich is broad. Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

6. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hello Evan and Otto,

Thank you for being so helpful in my quest. And thank you Otto for making my definition clear although I also like the Russian Ost battalions also.

I was at my local bookstore and I read a book by Ospery, " Foreign Volunteers of the Wehrmacht " and there were many pics and good descriptions about Asiatic soldats in Heer service. I will be buying that book soon.

By the way, do you guys have any other books that have articles about the Russian Ost and Asiatic soldats??

* Alvin *

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto and Panzerman-thanks! It will be this evening before i will be back home, but I will check all my titles and see if there is any mention or photos of Asiatics in them. I'm pretty sure there are some bits of info on them, since 4-5 books in particular that I will look at, are solely on the Waffen SS. I will get back with you on it by tomorrow.

Take care and "see" you then.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Panzerman: I checked all my books, and found one with photos of Asiatic looking soldiers but, they were not Germans, they were Russian POW's. There are two good photos in the book: "Grossdeutschland" By: Hellmuth Spaeter--former Hauptmann in the Grossdeutschland Panzer korps.

9. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hi Evan,

Could you provide a scan of the pic??

Thanks

* Alvin *

10. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Dear Panzerman, I would if I had my own computer but, I don't have one-yet. I use the public library computer, and they do not have a scanner. I do know someone that does and I will see if he can send a scan, I will se if I can talk to him sometime tomorrow.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Panzerman, email me your address, and I will see if I can make a decent copy and I can mail it to you. I too, do not have a computer of my own but, am hoping to real soon. Either that, or I will see if I can send a copy to Otto, and see if he can post it here.