Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help reading discharge paperwork?

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by DigitalCK, May 7, 2019.

1. DigitalCK

DigitalCK New Member

Just received my grandfather's discharge paperwork and curious about it. I do not have a lot of history or interaction with the military so I don't understand a lot of the meanings or what may be important.

What is the best way to read these? What information is generally most important or interesting? Would it just be best to post the document and someone can help pick out the unique items?

Thanks in advance

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of really smart people here. It would be best if you posted the document and let our experts help you decipher it.

DigitalCK likes this.
  3. DigitalCK

DigitalCK New Member

Thanks. I have done my best google skills to see what I can learn about this in advance. I feel I got a lot of info, but without being "close" to this world, I'm afraid much of it is a clinical/by-the-book piece of information but doesn't really tell the story or there may be something more interesting I'm not seeing.

Medals/awards:
    * Overseas service bars are earned - 1 for each 6 months deployed (3 bars = 1.5 yrs)
    * American Campaign Medal earned for a variety of criteria, must be in combat for 30+ days outside US between 12/7/41 and 3/2/46
    * Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribon - served for 30+ days in Asiatic-Pacific Theater between 12/7/41 and 3/2/46
    * 4-bronze battle star - worn on the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon, indicates participation in a particular battle or offensive, so he was involved in 4 key ones
    * Good conduct medal - issued during discharge by completing duty with exemplary behavior - used for re-enlistment for easier way back in
    * Purple heart - awarded for being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the US. I believe 14 ISCOM 45 references this, but not finding much. ISCOM = Island Commander (rank), so may have something to do with that
    * WW2 Victory medal - awarded to those who served in armed forces between 12/7/41 and 3/2/46

Other document fields:
    * T5 grade = Technician 5th grade - Army rank, addressed as corporal or "tech corporal" - their badge had 2 chevrons and a "T" underneath them.
    * Arm or Service "CE" = "Corps of Engineers"
    * Component "AUS" = "Army of the US"
    * Organization = 132nd engineer battallion, Headquarters - this is likely wehre the four bronze stars are from - Aleution Island Campaign, Eastern Mandates Campaign, Leyte Campaign, and Ryukyus.
    * Discharge date 12/1/45 (before the end of the war), at Camp Grant, Illinois
    * "Meat Cutter" showed his job when drafted

* Ordered to report on 2/15/43, reported on 2/22/43 (1 week after being told to report!)
    * Military occupation was a Photographer
    * "MM with rifle" means he had a Marksmanship Badge with a Rifle (likely the M1 Garand)
    * Was wrong about the Battles I listed above - box 32 shoes these - Rykukyus, Bismarck Archipilago, Eastern Mandates, and Sou Philippines Liberation. The ones listed above were the primary ones for the 132nd group. It was noted somewhere that that's just where they start out and can change at some point which is likely what happened.
    * Wounds - 45 IE Shima appears to mean he was woudned in 1945 at the Ie Shema airfield - no indication of what
    * Total length of service was 1 year, 1 month, 17 days (which goes back to the 3 bars - it was between 1 yr and 1.5 yrs)
    * AR 615-365 RR 1-1 = Army reduction of forces
    * Education was 8 years grammar, 4 years high school, 0 college
    * At bottom, in remarks - ASR score is number of points earned which tells when shipped home (85 points). It's a combination of time served, family status, and a few other things to better rank who should be discharged first. Lapel button is a discharge pin (says they call it a "Ruptured Duck"

4. DigitalCK

DigitalCK New Member

Document attached here.

Attached Files:

5. chibobber

chibobber Member

Also entitled to the Philippine Liberation Medal w/bronze star,As stated in final box.

6. DigitalCK

DigitalCK New Member

Thanks!