Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help with a machete please

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Baggy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Baggy

Baggy Member

Hi all

I have this machete and would be interested to know more about it

Obviously military as it has the arrow, heavy, the top of the blade is 5mm where it meets the handle, makers stamp says S&J Kitchin Ltd, Sheffield 1943.

Does anyone know anything about these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best

Mark

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

sniper1946 likes this.
  3. Baggy

Baggy Member

Hiya[

Thanks, I will do some googling

Interesting link, I have not signed up as they want a credit card, I would forget to cancel, my wife would throw me out, I would end up on the streets....

The sheath has numbers on the back, looks like P.I. 1942

Yes thank you

Mark

4. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

If you find any more i'd be interested to know, if not sing out and I'll have another look.

The P.I.1942 seems to indicate the sheath is genuine, and on this link there's some info although not much;

S & J Kitchin bush knife

Good luck (P.S. I'm sure the info is available without having to use your CC - I found one being sold for $50 but no photo to indicate condition etc.)

There are also many experts on this forum who could give you details of the right way to clean and preserve the machete and the sheath - hopefully one of them will jump in here soon.

:)

5. Baggy

Baggy Member

Hi

I have just read that thread, mine has the 14in blade which suggests aircrew use. Which makes sense as we are an RAF family generally.

> There are also many experts on this forum who could give you details of the right way
    > to clean and preserve the machete and the sheath - hopefully one of them will
    > jump in here soon.
    That would be useful :)

Mark

6. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

If you can cope with the Italian, here's another forum busy talking about them, but unfortunately no prices;

Machete Inglese ww2

7. Baggy

Baggy Member

8. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Looks about right. I love the way they have it listed as a 'Hydroponic item'. The mind boggles.

9. Baggy

Baggy Member

Perhaps they grow mushrooms on them :)

10. PATRICIA60

PATRICIA60 recruit

Hello..... Did you find the answers which you were looking for? My son has just shown me a 'Commando Knife' which he found and which is identical to the one which we have seen on your 'posted' information request... the only difference between your knife (which is pictured) and the one which I have is that: the year on my son's Commando knife is 1942 (although the '9' is not very clear and could easily be an '8')?, the other difference is that his knife does not have a sheath?..... My son is incidentally, profoundly deaf and the 'Military use 'Commando Knife'' is of great interest to him and I would love to find detailed information about it!!! If you have any other information which does not appear on this web-site I would be very, very grateful if you could forward it to me.... my son would be really pleased....
    Many, many thanks....... Patricia60