Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help With ID Needed

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Ilhawk, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The one with the lion and "Paratus" is the 103rd Engineers (Combat), Pennsylvania National Guard. It was a regiment sized unit and originally part of the 28th Infantry Division (Bloody Bucket).

It was broken up in 1942. The HQ, HQ & Service Co, Cos A, B and C redesignated 103rd Engineer Combat Battalion and remained part of the 28th during the war. HQ 1st Bn deactivated and 2nd Bn redesignated 180th Engineer Battalion (Heavy Pontoon).

The US/115 disk is the lapel insignia for the 115th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division. This was mostly a prewar insignia but was still worn during the war on a limited basis.

I am looking for the others.

Ilhawk likes this.
  3. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The "Buckler azure, an arm embowed proper and couped at the shoulder raised and armed with a buckler or having seven rivets of the field of three and four" is the heraldic crest of the 34th Armored Regiment. It was approved for the 34th Armored Regiment (Light) on 10 December 1941, was redesignated for the 34th Armored Regiment on 26 March 1942, and was redesignated for the 34th Tank Battalion on 10 November 1943. Postwar, it was designated for the 34th Medium Tank Battalion on 29 March 1954 and was redesignated for the 34th Armor Regiment on 20 January 1958. Without more details it is difficult to tell which of many versions this particular one was.

5. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Thx Rich. I dont have any more details. Its sort of a mystery. In the. Book i wrote about a 327 gliderman there wss a medic kia right beside him in the St La mbertus churchyard at Veghel. The medic was 327. Somehow the family randomly contacts me not knowing about the account of medic Henry Scherer's death. They asked me to help id this stuff that was in his personal belongings. I suppose it is possible he was collecting this stuff.Don't know if these units were in his path or what.

6. rlyoun3910

rlyoun3910 New Member

115th Quartermaster Battalion 40th Infantry Division (California National Guard) is the crest underneath the pendant between the QM enlisted brass and the 115th US brass.