Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help with ID of brass knuckles

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by bsweeney, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bsweeney

bsweeney Member

I found this cleaning a relatives basement is it WW11?????

Attached Files:

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I can't say anything for fact and is only an opinion but, it could be either WWI or WWII in issue. Im not an expert on anything and can only give an opinion on items that I may or may not have in my collection. Also, I collect about 99% Imperial or WWII German Militaria.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

If it has no markings, then it's almost impossible to tell. They were hardly ever 'issued' as such in both wars - in WW1 they were often privately-purchased for use in trench-fighting.

4. bsweeney

bsweeney Member

Thanks to both....yes they were not ever issued and I am told these are WW1 era.

5. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles [In the generic grouping of "Knuckledusters."] have a long and bloody history in both Europe and The United States. Probably a lot of other places as well. Carrying them on your person in virtually any State in this Country would amount to an instant arrest if searched. You would be very lucky to get away with a confiscation and a verbal warning…very lucky.
    In my youth, there were many people in the neighborhood and in Baltimore City that packed a pair of "Knucks." They are sold to this day in the same places they were in my youth. Flea Markets all around the area have "Brass Paperweights." Some of them are supplied with a tiny little piece of threaded metal that screws into a matching hole so they can be picked up easily off of a stack of papers on your desk. Makes them a real cool paperweight in fact! They are neat and a great conversation piece.
    I think it is safe to assume that wherever there are Flea Markets or Swap Meets, etc., you are going to find dumptruck loads of brass knuckles, various flat and round blackjacks [saps] and cheap overseas rip-offs of ASP Telescoping Batons. I’ve watched a lot of punks and wannabe gangbangers buying them…so beware. They ain’t collectors, they’re users…
    The bloody world of pummeling people with Knucks has a long history as I said before. These things are brutal weapons and have a sinister reputation.
    The reason they were banned is because we have a problem, as a society, of blaming inanimate objects for the acts of predatory or stupid human beings. That is primary. More than that, they were banned because they are effective at what they do, which is damaging people.
    The way I was taught by a Jujutsu Instructor was to punch in a tearing and glancing manner and not necessarily straight on. In other words, you would hit with something similar to a vertical, rolling punch instead of something like a reverse punch.
    But that is with Brass Knuckles as we have come to know them. Most "Classic" Brass Knuckles have smallish holes for the fingers. To punch straight on could lead to broken fingers, which is why he suggested a slightly different method of punching with them. It really depends on how your hand is shaped, finger size and some other things…but in general, with the "Classic" pattern, it’s probably best to hit with a rolling, glancing blow.
    BC-41 Knuckles
    Other patterns of Brass/Metal Knuckles do not have to be used in that manner and you can punch straight on with other types. These other patterns had ovals instead of round holes for the fingers. The patterns that come to mind are the World War Two SOE/OSS Pattern for Brass Knuckles. This is an excellent pattern that gives the fingers a bit more breathing room and will prevent some of the damage to the fingers that Brass Knuckles are somewhat known for.
    [​IMG]
    This pattern of Brass Knuckles was taken from a specific knife. That knife is the World War One Clements Knuckle Knife. This knife usually had Aluminum Knuckles. This knife was produced and used again in World War Two by Clements and the Knuckles were marked "BC-41" just as the Alloy Knuckles [without blade] were. My understanding is, Aluminum in World War One was the most common Knuckle material with brass second. In World War Two, I believe they were mostly an Alloy. In both World Wars, brass became scarce quite quickly as firearms ammunition cartridges are made of brass. When I say "Brass" in this article, know for the most part I am speaking generically.
    [​IMG]
    The World War One & Two Trench Knife
    The U.S. 1918 Trench Knife is a Classic. Col. Jeff Cooper remarked recently in a magazine article with regard to fighting knives that this would be his choice. Some people hate it because it is rather heavy, but it leaves little to the imagination as to the sort of savage mayhem that could be brought on an enemy in Close Combat with it.
    [​IMG]
    The type of Brass Knuckles that form the entire body of the knife have elongated ovals like the BC-41 Pattern and are better for striking, better than the "Classic" Pattern of Brass Knuckles.
    There are variations that have a triangular or round spike instead of the double-edged dagger blade and they have more of a "D" shaped Knuckleduster Guard on them. There were also Bowies made that had similar Guards! The "D" Guard Bowie is a particularly vicious fighter in skilled hands…different methodology, but quite effective as well!
    [​IMG]

Brass Knuckles

6. bsweeney

bsweeney Member

This pair has more oval holes and more rounded tops...

7. mkhud900

mkhud900 recruit