Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Here is an article from the AP...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by brndirt1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

on the E.coli outbreak plaguing Europe at the moment.

LONDON (AP) -- An entirely new super-toxic bug is causing the frightening food poisoning outbreak that has sickened at least 1,600 people and killed 18, researchers and global health officials said Thursday.

The DNA of the new E. coli strain, believed to have contaminated salad vegetables, was analyzed by Chinese and German scientists. It contains several genes that cause antibiotic resistance and is similar to a strain that causes serious diarrhea and is found in the Central African Republic, according to a statement from the Shenzhen, China-based laboratory, BGI. Those scientists were working together with the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf.

Goto:

News from The Associated Press

(me again) Hope this is a natural mutation and not some new "weaponized" bacterium. But even if it is natural, it might very well be natures response to the overuse of antibiotics which has been traced to the those infections which are "resistant" to most of our standard antibiotics.

2. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

While I'm fairly certain this is a pretty serious issue, I can't help but be vaguely disgusted at the way the news wants to spin every illness-related death into some sort of mass pandemic. Kinda like the N1H1 virus awhile back...they were sure to sound very grim and foreboding when announcing the hundreds that had died from this "hostile flu variation" (or whatever scientific-newsy-sounding description they had for that night)....totally ignoring the fact that if you logged on to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website, you could find solid numbers stating that the NORMAL flu virus killed thousands every year. But we needed to be frightened about this one, because....well, I guess it was a slow news night. So, anyway, I typically turn off the TV, drink plenty of OJ, and stay away from those I know are sick. Typical flu precautions.

As for the flu vaccines, I never get them. Had to have them when I was in the Navy, and EVERY time I got a vaccine, I got the flu. Now that I'm out, and don't have to get the vaccines, its an even chance whether I get the flu that year or not. Usually depends on whether my wife picks it up from somewhere and brings it home with her.

ETA: I usually don't eat salads. Why? My reasoning is that cows eat a lot of grass...which is pretty much a leafy green....therefore, a hamburger is simply an efficient way of getting my greens, without having to process out all the stuff I don't need. Need more veggies? Eat rabbit. Grains? Try a turkey. And always go deep-fried....everything is fried in vegetable oil nowadays, and more veggies are supposed to be good for you, right? Always remember, a balanced diet consists of bacon-cheeseburger, fries, AND a beer. Don't skip on one of the trinity!

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The thing you and others seem to forget about the H1N1 virus was this, it struck those who were normally NOT in the sights of deadly flu outbreaks. Not the very young, not the very old, not the already ill. It seemed to be most deadly in the population of those who normally were least effected, those between the ages of twenty and forty. Not the "normal" target group.

And while it was limited (in the total final death toll), it had the same target group as the 1919 "Spanish Flu" which killed more humans than WW1. The supposed young and healthy. That might have been the first "scare" to the CDC and the reason for their warnings. If it had been as "deadly" as that one, you wouldn't be laughing today my friend.

4. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Not laughing, no....I generally don't when people are dying. Still, I have a healthy disrespect for those who get on live TV and start talking up the next bubonic plague simply because a chipmunk in southeast Vermont sneezed. Yes, we should respect the nasty little viral invasions, and my hats off to the folks at CDC who kill the little boogers. Every time the flu hits, whether its a weak strain that's easily knocked out by existing vaccines, or some weird mutation that makes the Wolverine look like a pansy, its always slightly different. That's the malevolent beauty of these suckers, they readily adapt and mutate and change to royally screw us over. Gotta respect that in a bug that's microscopic. And then squish it. Respectfully.

If I'm remembering correctly, H1N1 DID hit the young and old especially hard. No solid facts to back that up, just my own spotty memory. I do recall to early reports of deaths were of small children who started out with low-grade fevers, which ramped up so quickly that by the time the parents noticed and were able to get them to a hospital, it was too late.

5. Dauntless

Dauntless Member

Actually, the H1N1 only killed 171 people outright. About the time the furor was dying down and the press being dressed down for overblowing things, the CDC decided to fold in all of the people that already had pre-existing conditions, like severe kidney disease, HIV, etc. etc. This more than quintupled the figure.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This is a pretty serious one. You start getting blood whne you go to the toilets and no antobiotic can help... Frightening. The Spanish cucumber has nothing to do with it and the Germans still don't know where it comes from . They know it a mutant mix of two rare bacteria which was spotted in korea only once in 2005. In the meantime people don't eat vegatables and fruit and their bodies do'nt stock the vitamines they could precisely use if affected....
    I eat cucumbers , tomatoes etc... and need more to be convinced.
    The Russians have banned ALL fruit and vegetables from the Union, even from countries which have had no trouble at all. A bit exagerated in my opinion .

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Sounds like Europe is on the verge of cukelear war.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

E coli is not an especially strong bacteria, when faced with a good washing. I have strong suspicions that the veggies in question were not adequately washed.

I grew up on a farm and we had a large garden. There is one thing that learned and it was that anything harvested had to washed thoroghly before it was consumed. My mother was a professional at that task.

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Here in California there was a similar, although not as large, out break a couple of years ago concering packaged fresh spinach that was sold in a couple of the larger grocery chains. It was traced back to poor sanitation and hygeine of the folks doing the picking and improper cleansing of the product before consumption.

texson66 likes this.
  10. texson66

texson66 Ace

Gawd! You're becoming a...(gasp) ....diplomat!:D

11. lwd

lwd Ace

I think there was case here a while ago where the ecoli got in the water used to irrigate the plants (in California I think so it may be the case mentioned before and a disproven theory) and was aborbed into the plants so washing couldn't remove it. Cooking on the other hand ...

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Something that dawned on me when reading about the E.Coli problem in Europe (and now the US apparently) was this. Actually two things, what if the strain was in pre-made salads like I buy on occasion in my local supermarket? I don’t take the dang thing home and wash every piece, I just pour a little dressing on it and chow down.

That is one method the problem may be hard to trace down. Here is another thought; what if some weirdo is going around to local restaurants with a little "spritzer" filled with the toxin, and spraying it into salad bars? Remember that problem in The Dalles, Oregon back in 1984, when the followers of the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh want to influence a local election by making the voters sick and unable to show up for the polls for a county election so they could swing the vote their way? They managed to make about 700=750 people sick with salmonella, and ruin the lives of a bunch of the people who owned the cafes and restaurants by putting them out of business.

They were found out eventually and their cult was banned, and they were disbanded here in the US (I think). What if this latest problem is an extension of that sort of warped thinking. Some single individual going all over the place contaminating salad bars or something? He/she could have any list of motives I suppose.

13. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I have to occupy my time while waiting for diplomacy to fail.