Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hi everybody

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by lordroel, Nov 2, 2017.

1. lordroel

lordroel Member

Hi, my name is Roel, admin of a small AH forum called Alternate Timelines, always searching for more things regarding World War II and Alternate History, hope to find some here.

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome. We do have a small alternate history forum but tend to try and keep them pretty close to the historical cases. I.e optimally a single reasonable POD although we've entertained some with multiples but again try to keep them reasonable. Lots of facts here to look into whether just to satisfy curiosity or to help with the construction or debate centered around an AH.

3. lordroel

lordroel Member

Well AH regarding World War II is mostly standerd, Germany wins, Soviet Union losses and so on, so i can understand why it would be small here.

But being from the Netherlands i do hope to see ore find more information about the Netherlands pre-world war II, escapacly its armed forces ore the Battle of the Netherlands.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

The ones I'm familiar with and that you see here are more what if A does this different. For instance what if the Allies decide to clear the Sheldt (sp?) instead of Market Garden. Or one of the more common what if the Axis put more effort into North Africa. Ones on the invasion of Malta have been fairly common as well.

Are you familiar with:
    The Naval Fiction Board - NavWeaps Discussion Boards

How about Letterstime or Tarrantry?

As to Dutch related info. I started reading this but haven't got far into it. You may find it of interest although it's Pacific rather than European:
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a416342.pdf

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

6. lordroel

lordroel Member

Like them both, to shame they are on hold.

Like World War II alternate histories that are not widely known, have collected some already like: Oparation Pike, British plan to invade Ireland in 1940,German invasion of Iceland, Japanese invasion of the Falklands and Anglo-Franco-Soviet Alliance in 1939

7. lwd

lwd Ace

Got to thinking a bit more about it. What we call "what ifs" or "Alternate Histories" are more debates on whether or not an alternative is reasonable or even possible rather than a story. That said they should be quite useful to anyone interested in writing a moderately reasonable AH. Areas that have been covered very thoroughly (especially if you include the axishistory forum as well as this one) include things like a third wave strike at PH or even an invasion of PH, SeaLion is actually launched, More German divisions in North Africa, and a variety of eastern front topics.

8. lordroel

lordroel Member

So would that also count for what if the Panther II entered into full production.

9. lwd

lwd Ace

Indeed I think we've even discussed it a bit. On something like that the background POD becomes pretty important. For instance if they go into full production without the bugs being worked out it could be a real disaster. If the bugs are worked out when can this or even can it reasonably happen. Check out the What if guidelines and some of the existing ones.

10. lordroel

lordroel Member

That are the World War II AH i like, i think people are tired of disusing the German invasion of the United Kingdom ore how Germany could have beaten the Soviets.

11. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

12. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

13. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome!

14. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Greetings from Arizona.