Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hitler's medals

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by papalou5x, Sep 3, 2010.

1. papalou5x

papalou5x Member

Noticed in one of the iconic images of Herr Hitler in full military regalia, a series of medals along his chest. If I'm not mistaken, one appears to be the highly valued Iron Cross. I understand Corporal Hitler was wounded in WWI (mustard gas was it?). Did he receive any medals as a result? Is this one of medals adorned to his uniform?

Assuming these medals were self-awarded, which was more than likely the case, there must be some historical mention being that military Germany, I'm told, was practically anal in matters of protocol and record keeping. I appreciate anyone filling this gap in my understanding. Much thanks.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Hitler received the Iron Cross, both second and first class, and that along with his "wound badge" were what he wore most often. They were not self-awarded, the wound badge was for his gassing, and the Iron Cross was awarded by his superior officer on the front, who happened to be a Jewish fellow from Prussia. I forget his name at the moment, but it is in one of my files.

Found it:

In August,1918 Hitler received his fifth and sixth medals. One was the Military Service Medal, 3rd class, for outstanding service. The other (recognizing his special mission to notify the artillery to advance their fire plus other previous acts of bravery) was "one of the highest distinctions to which a common soldier in the German army could aspire."* On Aug 4, Hitler was awarded the Iron Cross, 1st Class,* "for personal bravery and general merit."* (bold mine)

This was an uncommon decoration for a soldier of Hitler's rank since it was normally reserved for officers. "Hitler was one of the very few common soldiers of World War I to be awarded the Iron Cross, First Class"* Of the 11,000,000 men mobilized for the German army during W.W.I, only 163,000 first class crosses were awarded during the war* and only a handful went to enlisted men.

The awarding of the Iron Cross was initiated and presented to Hitler by his battalion adjutant, First Lieutenant Hugo Gutmann.* The Iron Cross was to be worn on the left side of the chest and if one had been awarded a Medal for Wounded (black) it was to be worn under the Iron Cross. Hitler seldom wore any of his other four medals but when he wore these two, he wore them with pride for the rest of his life--he knew he had earned them.

See:

http://smoter.com/slaughte.htm

papalou5x likes this.
  3. will382

will382 Member

So he got 6 medals overall? An EK1 & 2, BWB and MSM. What's missing?

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I did find a reference to a Military Cross for Merit, 3rd class with swords. Could that be it?

5. papalou5x

papalou5x Member

I'm totally floored. I understand he was a cruel, murderous despot, responsible for untold human suffering and death. But it astonishes me that in 60 plus years this is my first understanding that one can be those things and yet not be a coward under fire. I would not go so far as to say this fact of war is suppressed but I guess it's not nice to say anything of merit to such stains on humanity.

6. Vladd

Vladd Member

7. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

So where are these medals now?? Did they dissapear in some government vault or museum? were they distroyed with Hitler in the Bunker when he commited suicide? Does anybody know? Just curious

Maybe the soviet government got a hold of it after raiding Hitler's bunker?

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That is a good question, since many of his personal items were "taken" by his closest followers, it is not out of the question they ended up in some big-wig's valise.

I honestly don't know.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ive heard stories that when the end came and after the burning of his and the new wifes bods, that the awards were deliberately destroyed to keep from falling into the hands of the Russians. Now whether or not that is true? who knows? Also, its like hearing stories of whether or not that some of Hitlers closest aides fell fighting in the streets of Berlin or some how made it to safety to some hideout.

One of his other decorations always worn was his Nazi Party Badge.

Almost forgot, ive got the two EKs that an NCO who was in the 3rd Marine Infantry Regiment in 1917, was also awarded. I have the award doc for his EKII but I cant absolutely prove without a doubt that the 1914 EKI which came with the EKII and its award doc-was actually his but im ASSUMING it was his.

10. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

i bet somebody in this forum has it and doesn't even know it. :D

it wouldn't surprise me, hehe

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

It is stated that Hitler gave his Gold Party Badge to Magda Goebbels on the day he died. I read a story where the Russians had that badge in their possession when they came upon he body.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And it AINT Skipper who has it (but if im wrong I seem to remember he did say something about it?) :lol:

13. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Did Hitler wear his "Blood Order" medal from the Beer Hall Putch much?

Also, is that one of the most valuable Nazi medals ever since there were relatively few that could be awarded?

14. will382

will382 Member

Yes, I have seen Hitler wearing the Blood Order ribbon, only in one photo though - I never knew what that medal on his pocket was until recently.

And yes, it's a rather rare medal - but I'm not sure on its value. They are heavily faked.