Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hitting brick walls

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Familyquestions, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Familyquestions

Familyquestions New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and really feel stuck.
    I have a little info about my grandfather and only have 1 living family member who knew him but they are no longer with us mentally.
    I have a photo of my grandfather in uniform along with a photo of his head stone. I do know the date he enlisted and the date he was released.

I have contacted people from the group listed on his headstone but they have no records of him.

I will give you what I know
    Charles F Hahn (don't know what the F stands for)
    Dob 10-10-1906
    Tec 5
    6 armored div
    BSM recipient
    Enlisted April 10 1942
    Ets Oct 24 1945
    Serial number 134096214

If anyone happens to come across any info it would mean the world to me

Attached Files:

2. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I only found a William J Hahn that was a tech 5, 6th armored div, bronze star recipient. Did you know you can go to the county court house where he lived and returned from war to and get a copy of his discharge papers? Most every one filed them as instructed when they returned home. I couldn't find his enlistment with that serial number either. Seems like someone talked about how serial numbers changed for a few men. We have some real sharp people on this forum. I'm sure some one else will help. But I did try. :)

Familyquestions likes this.
  3. Familyquestions

Thank you.

I'll have to do some more digging. No idea where he lived when he discharged. He is the family mystery.
    No idea where he was born or even who his parents were.

He died before I was born and my grand mother would never speak of him. On their marriage license there was no info other than first and last names. Her place of residence and approximate ages of bride and groom. Then hand written at the top it says Secret do not publish. I do know that they married while he was at fort chaffee

Attached Files:

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forums. It is probably the case that he served in the 6th Armored Division, so I would pursue that angle until it is either confirmed or disproven. I encourage you to post the photo of him in his uniform. That may allow us to determine with which element of the 6th AD your grandfather served.

If you have not yet requested his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File), you should request it. Here is the page on the NARA website: Request Military Service Record.

Like KMZgirl, I also did not find anything for the Army Serial Number you gave. I have come across other ASNs that were legit but did not show up in the NARA database.

Also, you may also want to try the Super Sixth Facebook Group which appears to be fairly active. There is also a website about the 6th AD which is active as well.

macrusk and Familyquestions like this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

Well, the photo is not very helpful -- no pins or shoulder patch visible.

6. Familyquestions

Thank you. For looking. Yes I have contacted the facebook page and the website and no info there either. Though I gentleman there is the one who found the number and the enlistment info for me. There seems to be no info for him other than the marriage license, his headstone and a few census listings.

I have put in a request for records even though they warned me that as his grand daughter I do not qualify as next of kin. I had to submit a letter with my request stating that he was my father's father and that my father suffers from severe schizophrenia and half of the time does not know who he is, so I am submitting the request on his behalf

7. TD-Tommy776

One more thing that may or may not be helpful. I would try to get the word out in your extended family that you are interested in anything to do with your grandfather's WWII service. Sometimes things get passed down to family members (i.e. photos, letters, V-mails, scrapbooks) that may have useful info. Even if you don't get an immediate response, just letting them know may pay dividends down the road when they come across something while cleaning out the attic. It's an easy and inexpensive way to possibly get some information.

8. TD-Tommy776

There should be no problem with you requesting his records. Virtually all WWII personnel records are now considered Archival, which means even the general public can request them. The NARA link I provided discusses the difference between Archival and non-Archival records.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. I have searched available records at Fold3 with no luck. How did you manage to find the material you have? Uniform is no help since no insignia show. It's a nice little mystery. We'll do our best to help you solve it.

Tommy is right about the records.

Whoops. I just re-read what you posted and answered my own question.

10. Familyquestions

I started with the info from his headstone and then I joined a few genealogy pages and the super 6th facebook page. I had several people come to me with the same enlistment date and the number connected to it that I posted. So I knew it had to be him. I had always thought it was his social security number but had a gentleman on the super 6th page tell me it was his serial number.

The only living family are my father my younger sister and myself.

My sister has his actual bronze star. And copies of the same 2 photos of him I have and that is it.

We ordered records for social security but we're denied because as far as they are concerned we have no right to request it being that our fathers name is not on our birth certificates so there is no proof of relationship .

My father had no siblings so there is no one else to ask

Thank you all again for taking the time to look.

This truly is a mystery.
    I have a 17 year old son who is looking to join the military and would love to learn more about his great grandfather's service.

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    macrusk and Familyquestions like this.
  12. Familyquestions

Wow thank you. We have just always got based off of his headstone. So maybe the difference in the dob will be a big help

13. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

1940 census records are usually available for free online. You might be able to find where he was in 1940. It will give county and others in household. I love a good mystery. If you receive no records due to the fire, I would suggest checking the courthouse and newspapers. Good luck! Also, the bronze star could have been issued lat a different time than the records I found.

14. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

I'm wondering if this is your Charles's naturlisation petition from 1919 findmypast.co.uk

These are the general results at Find My Past using his year of birth +/- 2 years http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resu...me=hahn&yearofbirth=1906&yearofbirth_offset=2

I don't know if you have used this website before, but here in the UK you can get 14 days free before subscribing. If you don't want to subscribe, make sure you check the box to not renew your 'subscription' before the 14th day is out. They make that box damn hard to find as well. If you are stuck, I have a pal that has a world wide subscription. Cheers - Maria

15. Familyquestions

Thank you Maria, I'll let you know.

Ive just registered and started my free trial.. Right now I seem to be in a loop. I do the search and when I try to see the image it sends me back to the subscription page.

Hope to see his signature and see if it matches with the marriage license

16. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Hope you've managed by now to see the images. I was interested in the travel & migration set. There seems to be quite a few journeys made by one born in 1906. Take a look at them also. Please keep us up to date on any discoveries you make, who knows where they might lead.