Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Holocaust Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by LRusso216, Jan 27, 2017.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Here is Donald's message for Holocaust Remembrance Day. We should remember that 6 million Jews and probably 6 million others were murdered for who they were. Either Donald doesn't get it or he deliberately snubbed their memory.

The White House raised eyebrows on Friday when it issued a statement to commemorate International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, that did not mention Jews, Judaism or antisemitism.

The statement read:

It is with a heavy heart and somber mind that we remember and honor the victims, survivors, heroes of the Holocaust. It is impossible to fully fathom the depravity and horror inflicted on innocent people by Nazi terror.

Yet, we know that in the darkest hours of humanity, light shines the brightest.‎ As we remember those who died, we are deeply grateful to those who risked their lives to save the innocent.

In the name of the perished, I pledge to do everything in my power throughout my Presidency, and my life, to ensure that the forces of evil never again defeat the powers of good. Together, we will make love and tolerance prevalent throughout the world.

The Holocaust was the systematic genocide of European Jewry by Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. More than six million Jews were murdered, along with Gypsies, gay people, political dissidents and others that the Nazi regime found undesirable.

On Twitter, Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the Anti-Defamation League wrote that the statement “misses that it was six million Jews who perished, not just ‘innocent people’” and described it as “puzzling and troubling” that there was no explicit mention of Jews.

In past statements and speeches commemorating International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Barack Obama explicitly referred to the “unique” nature of the Holocaust and “the scourge of antisemitism” and to the murder of six million Jews.

The oversight by the White House comes as the Trump administration is still adjusting to the transition of power. The night before the statement on the Holocaust was issued, the White House issued a daily schedule that repeatedly misspelled the name of the British prime minister, Theresa May.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment. However, Fred Brown, a spokesman for the Republican Jewish Coalition, said in a statement “it’s outrageous that people are using Holocaust Remembrance Day for partisan reasons or to try and settle scores. The horrors of the Holocaust are not to be taken lightly. Today is about remembering the millions of Jews who suffered at the hands of hate, and the heroes who died fighting it.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/white-house-holocaust-remembrance-day-no-jews

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post Lou. This is truly a day to solidify the idea that we are all one in this world. That hate and prejudice have no place in this country and the world entire. However this presidency plays out, and it's unsettling and disheartening so far, we understand that history teaches us one thing: tolerance.

3. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

So Trump is Hitler, because he didn't mention Jews, although the Holocaust is a genocide of the Jews - which should have been evident to anyone.

It would be empty virtue singling anyway without mentioning the fact that not only Jews were victims the Holocaust but the Romani too, with maybe up to a million of them murdered.

The Romani were extremely poor people, so nobody came to their rescue, nobody helped them, not even opera-loving sisters. And of course nobody remembers them today.

And not all Jews were targeted anyway, the Karaite - descendants of rabbinic Jews with their back to basics Judaism were excluded, and Jewish citizens of neutral countries, and for example Jewish officers of the Polish Army.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Don't think that post said anything about Trump being Hitler.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Well, as you point out with the Jews, not all of the Romani(gypsies) were targeted by the Nazis.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005219

Umm, proper Karaite Jews were not targeted, simply because they could not be targeted. They were living in Egypt, Turkey, and Iraq at the time. You seem to have latched on to the Karaylar-Karaite/Crimean-Karaite Jews...All, at the time, 18 of them living in German controlled territory.

Further, the Karaylar-Karaite Jews were not given a completely "free pass" either. They still had to submit to German ancestry and racial biological tests to prove that they were indeed free of Jewish "blood."

Gee, were not the Germans nice not to target American Jews, or Ethiopian Jews, or Palestinian Jews, or etc.

It is impossible to target Jews in territories the Nazis did not control.

6. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

It should have been Jewish citizens of neutral countries living in Germany and occupied territories. Only in Poland there were hundreds of them.

After Soviets recaptured Crimea in 1944, they counted 6,357 Karaites there.

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Meh...Karaylar-Karaite Jews among those Jews massacred at Babi-Yar and other places in the Ukraine.

8. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The severity of other war crimes or where they were commited is aside the main point of this thread.

I don't really have a problem with the statement made by the White House. These days most people think the Holocaust was only against Jews, so a more general statement isn't inaccurate and might even be helpful. In fact it still includes the Jews, by definition.

The US leadership made a statement about the Holocaust, a crime which was perpetrated by another nation altogether. It seems fine to me they are mentioning it.

The US political landscape is very secterian these days, and there is reading of intent into statements based upon who is making the statements, rather than the content. There are valid points to criticize the current US administration, to my eye this isn't one.

SDP, Mutley and von Poop like this.
  9. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

Trump's main advisor, Steve Bannon, runs white supremacist sites, believes in that direction, and also has anti-Semitic areas on his sites and different works.

10. GunSlinger86

He wouldn't let his son go to a certain private school because Jewish kids went there as well.

11. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Do you have any examples?
    I think you will be surprised how hard it is to find them.

It would be easier to blame Bannon and his ilk for their rabid pro-Israeli, pro-settlers stance.

But do you know that Trump's daughter Ivanka has converted to Orthodox Judaism? Not the usual liberal or Reform or Conservative Judaism. But the real-deal Orthodox Judaism.
    And that his grandson is circumcised and raised as a Jew?

Jewish Trump's advisers:
    - Jason Greenblatt,
    - David Friedman,
    - Jared Kushner,
    - Boris Epshteyn,
    - Stephen Miller,
    - Steven Mnuchin,
    - Lewis Eisenberg,
    - Michael Glassner,
    - Ivanka Trump.

12. Otto

I've heard anti-semitism thrown the way of Steve Bannon before. This is the exactly the sectarian ideology I was just referring to. The school claim is fatuous and came out of a divorce lawsuit, though I'm not even going to dissect the individual claims.

Alan Dershowitz, Ben Shapiro, and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach all defended Bannon in this area. None of them are friends or fans of his.

As a liberal minded Candian living in Chicago, I'm no fan of trump, but these claims are simply not accurate.

lwd and KJ Jr like this.
  13. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Well said Otto. Hence the two party apparatus in the US continues to rotate off its axis. The "I am superior" mentality helps no one, least of all one's beliefs on the current political landscape. I'm on the left but am aware of the political media posturing by my own party can spread misinformation to the masses. We should not, wherever your allegiance, use conjecture and falsehood to support our beliefs.

14. GunSlinger86

15. GunSlinger86

You can't deny Steve Bannon's white supremacists leanings. Breitbart is his site.

16. GunSlinger86

The end justifies the means. Just because someone is "something" doesn't mean that they can have views that go against that "something." I'm a born and raised Catholic. I have mixed feelings about the Catholic church, and in certain situations, depending on what the solution, end, to something would affect the Catholicism in general does not bother me nor would affect my opinion or decision on a given situation. Some groups use Christianity or religion as a political weapon to sucker votes out of people when they don't believe it but pander it to the masses who do. Some people use religion to sway influence or opinion to gain something when they might not be whole-heatedly behind what they are selling.

17. Otto

Well I'm convinced then. I shan't listen to the score of Jews and gays that work for Breitbart under Bannon.

Like almost every outlet nowadays, Breitbart is a media outlet with a strong political bent. The only difference is that they bend in the opposite direction of CNN and other outlets. Calling them racist without real evidence and calling Trump a racist for the Holocaust statement are a huge part of the very reason Trump got elected in the first place. Trump needs astute criticism levied against him very badly, each of these 'cry wolf' claims just weaken the impact of legitimate criticism.

KJ Jr likes this.
  18. GunSlinger86

That's my point. Just because someone is Jewish or gay, doesn't mean that they have to sway to a certain belief. They could use their status as a means to achieve some other end that may go against someone's set of morals or the morals of their group.

19. GunSlinger86

And for American Fascism, look up the story of Marine General Smedley Butler, and that says it all.

20. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Its John Pilger so there is a strong anti- american slant.

I am ambivalent about Trump's Holocaust day statement. It was wrong to explicitly mention the Jews as victims. However, he did draw attention to the fact that there were an awful lot more civilian victims of than the six million European Jews exterminated by the Nazi final solution.

Civilian losses in WW2 are estimated as C 50 million of which a half died from war related disease and famine and the other 25 million from military action. The extermination programme started with Operation Barbarossa in the context of a campaign where soldiers were released from the normal laws of war, political officers shot out of hand and with wider aims of enslaving the rural population and starving urban Russians. The Germans inflicted half a holocaust on Soviet prisoners of War. Some 3.3 million soviet PW (60%) are estimated to have died in captivity. (Karlshorst Museum)

However, the trend seems to be for Holocaust to be positioned as the central event of WW2 and Jewish suffering elevated in public consciousness to the exclusion of all others . There is ample money for holocaust memorials and museums across the world. In the UK the government announced £35m for a new permanent holocaust museum. That is more money than has been spend commemorating the centenary anniversaries of WW1, Waterloo 200, Agincourt 600 and Magna Carta 800 put together. Around 15% of the existing floor space of the Imperial War Museum (IWM) is already given over to a substantial holocaust exhibition over two floors, with a single small room for exhibitions about other genocides of the C20th. Britain had at the most a peripheral role in the holocaust, but a much larger one in the management of the Palestine mandate - which gets a single case in the basement ! As an occasional lobbyist for the cause of battlefield preservation I raised this disparity with politicians and the director general of the IWM and was told that the money had been donated to the UK for this purpose.