Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Honor in the skies: German fighter pilot allowed a crippled B-17 to return to Britain

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by DaveBj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. DaveBj

DaveBj Member

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

My son's friend forwarded this story to me, we share an interest in WWII.

A couple of months ago I was standing in the lobby of our VFW waiting on someone, and I looked at a framed picture which has been hanging there for as long as I've been going there. I suddenly noticed it was signed by these two men.

Now I point it out to everyone else!

3. Takao

Takao Ace

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Clem...you've worn it well...No one would have thought you'd been going to VFW since forties..Oil Of Ulay?

Poppy and Clementine like this.
  5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've seen the book in the store. Is it worth reading?

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Don't know, I have been meaning to get it, but it's somewhat low on the book list at the moment.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Maybe a picture of Dorian Clem..?

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

Well, it's dark in the VFW so it's hard to tell.

(Just don't look in my attic.)

urqh likes this.
  9. urqh

That chat up line won't work on me Clem....But I am free and single again now...Whoops too far off topic...Actually, I was free and single for all of 2 weeks...You missed your chance........Gum chum?

Clem I've got two copies of the mighty 8th magazine...contains all 8th airbases and pics in uk...Sending one to Biak....do you want me to send em both there and you arrange with him for him to send you the spare? Sorry I'm talking for Biak....but he's a good guy..

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Urqh has game...Lost mine. Need to play guitar or drums. What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?...Homeless.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Isnt the drummer the bloke who hangs around musicians? Poppy...your game is you...

12. urqh

Poppy.....trust me and cac.....you are game...your humour travels in the commonwealth brotherhood...may go over some colonials heads...but we get you...mostly...This is a ww2 forum...and should be consistently ww2 related, but by understanding the personality of its members the posts they make and concentrate on are that much more understandable. Knowing the humour and personality of even our yank cousins and our mate Skip, allows us leeway in posting ww2 stuff related to their interestes and humour in warfare especially the forces gallows type was and is a necessity.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

A couple of the nicest compliments I have ever received. Manna from heaven. Thanks for making my day.

14. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

I'll let the singles flirt, and back to the topic. The book is well worth a read.

15. Clementine

Clementine Member

Dang, I wasn't quick enough. That window wasn't open long enough, two weeks, when we live on different continents!

But, I'll settle for the magazine. Thank you. Sorry, I have been MIA for a bit, hope I didn't miss my chance for that, as well. I went to NYC on vacation and it took more time to get ready to go (getting my work done) and then catching up when I got back than I was even there. But it was worth it. Got to tour the USS Intrepid, which was a treat.

16. urqh

No..sending 2 to Biak this week....he has instructions to get your address for himself and send a copy to you...

Good mag..enjoy.

Clementine likes this.