Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Honoring my Father

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by papa44823, Jun 23, 2011.

1. papa44823

papa44823 recruit

My father served in the Army from 28 Nov 1942 until 5 Dec 1945 (3yrs & 8 days). He was assigned to the 2nd Signal Service Battalion in Warrenton, VA.

I have two questions. I am trying to round up originals of the medals he was awarded as well as uniform insignias. I intend to display them proudly and pass them on to my son and grandchildren. My son never new his grandfather, so this is very important to me.

I have acquired vintage originals of the "Rifle M 1903 Marksman", American Theater Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal and Good Conduct Medal.

I am trying to find out what unit insignia he would have worn on his uniform (this is not visable in any pictures I have).

I am assuming that he wore the US button and Signal button on his uniform.

Lastly, I hope someone can translate the following on his discharge paper under "Decorations and Citations", Good Conduct Medall GO 7 VHFS Warrenton VA 45. Warrenton VA is obvious and I'm guess that the medal was earned/presented in 1945. I don't understand the other abbreviations.

One last thing. I recently saw that a "knot" configuration w worn on the fabric part of the Good Conduct Medal for each year of service. Is this correct? If so, would my dad have been eligible for three knots?

Thank you so very much for any help.

Bill