Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hood's two antiaircraft batteries

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by Carronade, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Carronade

Carronade Ace

HMS Hood was completed with four Mark V 4" AA guns on the aft superstructure, at the time the best AA armament on any British ship. Other WWI-era capital ships retained in service were brought up to the same standard in the 1920s. Around 1930 they began to be equipped with the High Angle Control System; Hood received an HACS Mark I, also aft, near the guns.

In the 1930s the single 4" in most battleshipe were replaced by Mark XIX twins (mounting Mark XVI 4" guns). Hood, the most modern of the WWI generation, never received a comprehensive modernization, but had modifications made incrementally in various refits, including increases to six and then eight single 4", still with the one director. In 1939, she received four Mark XIXs with two HACS Mark III, one each side of the bridge; but at that time she retained six single 4" and their HACS Mark I. For a few months she had two independent AA batteries; then the single 4" were removed, and the HACS Mark I replaced by a Mark III. Finally she received three more Mark XIX twin mounts for a total of fourteen 4"; this was the AA armament she was lost with.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well...pity she wasnt attacked by aircraft then!

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

As the great philosopher Benny Hill once said 'Well, you should have put more men on the job, shouldn't you!'

All life can be explained by Benny Hill and The Simpson's:)